HELP Removing gauge cluster

Status
Not open for further replies.

Swindells

Apprentice
Jun 22, 2019
Trying to remove my cluster to replace all the lights

Every video I’ve seen these are only connected with the 2 basic plugs you see in white in the pictures

Mine was held by a central plug that was held with a metal pressure clip I had to blind pry with a screw driver to loosen
Anybody know what this was?

It looks like a square shaped prong that goes into a hole that free spins and doesn’t adjust anything I can see on the cluster

Also

Once I had the cluster completely loose
It’s being held from coming out with a small metal cable (why is this even here?🤦🏻‍♂️) that I can’t get at without tearing my entire lower half open
(you can see the small cable in the second picture)
Anyone know of an easy way to remove this? Or if I can just cut it?

Attachments

• D568DF8D-B8EC-40F1-8ECD-1BE3EB8EB4D8.jpeg
    D568DF8D-B8EC-40F1-8ECD-1BE3EB8EB4D8.jpeg
    1 MB · Views: 124
  • 2375EFD4-0BDE-4B10-8EED-F741B30622ED.jpeg
    2375EFD4-0BDE-4B10-8EED-F741B30622ED.jpeg
    901.8 KB · Views: 115

Ribbedroof

Comic Book Super Hero
Supporting Member
Jan 4, 2009
Wellston, OK
Sounds like you're talking about the speedo cable and the shift indicator cable to the gear pointer

Reactions: 2 users

Drkuhar

G-Body Guru
Sep 27, 2018
Girard, IL
The speedometer cable, you push the metal tab in towards the cluster and the cable will pop out of the speedometer. Not sure on the indicator. I thought it unhooked from the indicator

• Agree

Ribbedroof

Comic Book Super Hero
Supporting Member
Jan 4, 2009
Wellston, OK
Don't know why this didn't appear in my last post....

The shift indicator cable is clipped to the column lower shroud, and just slides off, after you remove the knee bolster (panel under the steering column)

• Agree

ELCAM

Royal Smart Person
Jun 19, 2021
The little tiny cable is connected to the shifter bowl on the steering column. Lay the dash back in and remove the screw from the steering column and slide the clip off.
shift indicator.jpg

Reactions: 1 user

ssn696

Living in the Past
Supporting Member
Jul 19, 2009
Permanent Temporary
Scribe the spot where the clip is now so you can get it back onto the column in the same place.

The speedo cable plugs into the back of the cluster with a friction ring holding it from backing out. Reach up behind and pull the ring towards you and the cable should fall out with a gentle tug.

Last edited:

Swindells

Apprentice
Jun 22, 2019
And she’s out!
Thanks a bunch everyone 👊🏼👊🏼👊🏼

Time to replace all the lights and clean the inside of that plastic
😂😂

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 87

SS_Malibu

Royal Smart Person
Supporting Member
Sep 27, 2021
Mesa, AZ
Oh, and if you haven't already done so, pictures, pictures, pictures, so you know how everything was for reassembly. Film is cheap nowadays. Just a blip on an SD card.

Swindells

Apprentice
Jun 22, 2019
The only thing that had a specific placement was the cable that connected to the column
👊🏼👊🏼

Swindells

Apprentice
Jun 22, 2019
Has anyone ever tried to re finish the plastic on the gauge cluster?
Mine has a couple small scuff marks on the face and I’m debating on re finishing them like I did my tail lights

Just curious if anyone else has attempted it

Might try just going at it with the meguiars plastx and see how that looks first before taking any sand paper to it

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor