Replacing 307 Water Pump

Status
Not open for further replies.

sldwys

Greasemonkey
Nov 21, 2020
I’v tore down almost everything needed so far. What other bolts are there for Power Steering pump. Two on left side of bracket and one on bracket from Alternator? Do I have to pull the pulley off the PS?

85 442

Attachments

• 1D0D5C9E-3ACC-41DB-A161-D1E53E2B7D7F.jpeg
    1D0D5C9E-3ACC-41DB-A161-D1E53E2B7D7F.jpeg
    414.3 KB · Views: 237
Oct 14, 2008
Melville,Saskatchewan
No, the pulley stays on. There is a lower bolt near the motor mount.

Reactions: 1 user

sldwys

Greasemonkey
Nov 21, 2020
Thanks. Any suggestion on if I should change timing chain? I assume original to the car. Over 100k miles.

69hurstolds

Geezer
Supporting Member
Jan 2, 2006
Hoses on the PS pump can stay on as well. You just want to get it off the mounting studs and out of the way.

As far as replacing the timing chain...um, if it IS original and it's going to be a good while before the new engine, my vote is yes. Be prepared to jack up the engine, drop the pan a bit, clean out the bottom of the pan and oil pump best you can of plastic gear chunkies, and the job will go much easier overall. It's a PITA but overall you get a better job. If you're going to change engines in the near future, I'd say no. Once you pull the engine up, just keep it coming on out and drop in the 455. Just sayin'.

• Agree
Reactions: 1 users

sldwys

Greasemonkey
Nov 21, 2020
Hoses on the PS pump can stay on as well. You just want to get it off the mounting studs and out of the way.

As far as replacing the timing chain...um, if it IS original and it's going to be a good while before the new engine, my vote is yes. Be prepared to jack up the engine, drop the pan a bit, clean out the bottom of the pan and oil pump best you can of plastic gear chunkies, and the job will go much easier overall. It's a PITA but overall you get a better job. If you're going to change engines in the near future, I'd say no. Once you pull the engine up, just keep it coming on out and drop in the 455. Just sayin'.

I do plan an engine swap in near future. Seeing that it’s a pain to do the timing chain, I’m probably going to pass. Haha. Just getting to the water pump was a pain with all the accessories.

sldwys

Greasemonkey
Nov 21, 2020
Alright I got the water pump off. What’s best way to remove gasket? Also, I’m going to use #2 permatex and put on pump and then on gasket then put together. I’m not using anything on engine. Do I put permatex on all the screws?

sldwys

Greasemonkey
Nov 21, 2020
Trying to replace valve cover gaskets. How do I remove these clamps and what are they called?

Also, taking tips on water pump install. See first post. Thanks

6A04CAC9-96AF-48C5-BEAE-9E5AB14F6E0B.jpeg

69hurstolds

Geezer
Supporting Member
Jan 2, 2006
Those are crimp clamps. They used a special crimping tool to crunch the end in place. You can spread them by being careful with a flat blade screwdriver. Those were normally thrown away and the replacement is a typical worm screw hose clamp.

GM did not install the valve covers with gaskets. Although gaskets would be the way to go when replacing. They used a hardening permatex sealer crap that eventually cracks and leaks. Yay!!! Not so permanent. They figured you'd throw the car away before you had to fix valve cover leaks.

You'll have to diassemble all that bullcrap along with the A/C compressor and bracketry, get it out of the way, remove the five 3/8" head screws, and pop the valve cover. Fun job. Not.

If you bust that A.I.R. tubing, or find it needs replacing, you can use GM p/n 22534541 or equivalent aftermarket. Driver side is GM p/n 22534540.

The check valves will screw off the AIR piping. You will probably be getting rid of all that stuff anyway with the 455.

sldwys

Greasemonkey
Nov 21, 2020
Thanks. I was wondering how you got the damn clamps off. I wasn’t going to replace the valve cover gaskets but I may have the motor in the car longer than I want. So I want it to run nice and not leak. I’ve already order some steel core rubber gaskets.

Reactions: 1 user

69hurstolds

Geezer
Supporting Member
Jan 2, 2006
Keep in mind that since GM didn't use valve cover gaskets, the gaskets you normally find have 10 holes in them for bolts. The 307s have 5 hole covers. They'll still work, but just making you aware. The first time someone sees the difference, they think they got the wrong gaskets.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor