Replacing body bushings on 1979 Monte Carlo

Status
Not open for further replies.

truracer20

Master Mechanic
Feb 16, 2014
western PA
I would say the gap in the rear is due to the frame bending under the weight of the bumper just use a jack to bring the frame up tight. I don't suggest shimming anything on the body tub. Did you put the #5 bushings in place?

rmorman

Greasemonkey
Jun 5, 2008
Perry, IA
I would say the gap in the rear is due to the frame bending under the weight of the bumper just use a jack to bring the frame up tight. I don't suggest shimming anything on the body tub. Did you put the #5 bushings in place?

I completely removed the rear bumper, but I still might just stay away from shimming anything but the rad support. I'll maybe just jack the frame to the bushings. My '79 Monte already had the #5's installed from the factory. I replaced them with new poly ones.

Mentioning the rear bumper brings up another thing. The single bolt that comes up through the bottom of the frame and helps secure the bumper frame inside the car frame broke when I removed the bumper. I'd like to replace it when I re-install the bumpers. Does anybody know the specs on this bolt? Am I giving enough info? I'm not sure there will be much of it left when I extract it.

truracer20

Master Mechanic
Feb 16, 2014
western PA
What I mean is after the bushings deteriorated and the bolts broke, the rear bumper was putting a lot of force on the frame during driving. These frames are not as rigid in the rear as you would think.

rmorman

Greasemonkey
Jun 5, 2008
Perry, IA
What I mean is after the bushings deteriorated and the bolts broke, the rear bumper was putting a lot of force on the frame during driving. These frames are not as rigid in the rear as you would think.

LOL! OK, that makes sense. I was confused. :mrgreen:

403Olds

G-Body Guru
May 31, 2014
South Central Ohio
This is a great time to add a bar to tie in the rear frame rails together. You can see how much it flexes. It made a huge difference on my car. I just used the lower bumper bolts at the frame side.

rmorman

Greasemonkey
Jun 5, 2008
Perry, IA
This is a great time to add a bar to tie in the rear frame rails together. You can see how much it flexes. It made a huge difference on my car. I just used the lower bumper bolts at the frame side.

Do you have any examples of what this looks like?

drogg1

G-Body Guru
Jan 25, 2009

403Olds

G-Body Guru
May 31, 2014
South Central Ohio
Sure, mine's just a piece of 1" square tube .06 thick. LH and RH side connections are shown. It helped tremendously.

Attachments

• lh brace pic.jpg
    lh brace pic.jpg
    153.6 KB · Views: 353
  • rh brace.jpg
    rh brace.jpg
    141.8 KB · Views: 336

Geo's66

Master Mechanic
Oct 7, 2014
403, I'm doing a 78 monte now... So can u explain a bit further what made it so much better? Do you also have a sway bar in additon to this? Thanks, very interesting

403Olds

G-Body Guru
May 31, 2014
South Central Ohio
Best way to describe it is imagine the difference between being pulled across your yard on a piece of 1/4" plywood. After the rear brace, it's like riding on a piece of 3/4" plywood. I did mine 10 years ago, but that's about the best description that I can give.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor