Reverting back to a bench seat.

Status
Not open for further replies.

PushrodV8

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Sep 28, 2017
Pensacola, FL
Hello everyone.
I have a 1981 El Camino that I would like to revert back to a bench seat.
The reason is so I can fit both my kids so we can take a nice cruise together.

Any who, I have found an abundance of bench to bucket conversions but pretty much 0 on the reverse.
Does anyone know of a good compatible bench seat I could install or retrofit into the El?

Finding an original El Camino bench seat in Pensacola FL. and surrounding areas has been a major miss.
They're practically non-existent around here.

Here's the ol'clunker.
It's a 1981 that has a SBC 350 and Turbo 350 transmission.

Thank you!

z5pPCgM.jpg

Reactions: 1 user

Wageslave

Royal Smart Person
Jan 25, 2017
Pretty much any bench or 60/40 split bench from a G-body will fit. I actually have a dark blue bench that I had in mine temporarily, but that thing is way too heavy to ship.

zdeckich

Master Mechanic
Jun 23, 2013
Fort Worth, TX
nothing at a local junk yard?

Wageslave

Royal Smart Person
Jan 25, 2017
Possibly early 90's Oldsmobile's and Buicks, but it will more than likely need custom brackets to mount with. Not impossible, but a pain.

PushrodV8

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Sep 28, 2017
Pensacola, FL
Well that's something I'm a bit confused about, Wikipedia lists the 1981 as an A-Body car.
Is that incorrect?

I found this thread here -- https://gbodyforum.com/threads/why-is-it-called-a-g-body.24215/
Cutlass, Monte Carlo, Regal (G.N.s), Grand Prix, El Camino, and Caballero from 78 to 88 are considered G-Bodies.

If that's the case, any of those cars listed above should be a pretty good match as a donor seat?

zdeckich For sure, I'll be heading out there this weekend but I really didn't figure on seeing an El Camino so I was hoping someone could confirm the A\G body thing and a list of compatible donors.

zdeckich

Master Mechanic
Jun 23, 2013
Fort Worth, TX
Any gbody from a 78-88 will fit. Malibu, cutlass, el camino, monte carlo, grand prix, buick century, pontiac lemans, regal, etc. they will all fit.They call it a A-body for some reason. but its really not.

• Winner

PushrodV8

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Sep 28, 2017
Pensacola, FL
Cool deal, thank you all very much.
I'm sure I'll be able to find at least 1 of those cars around here.

Want to trade that '78 Malibu Wagon?
I've been looking at one over in Panama City and it is just beautiful.

Wouldn't mind seeing a picture of it if you have a link handy. ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor