Rim and tire size question

Status
Not open for further replies.

khan0165

Royal Smart Person
Jul 14, 2008
Ontario, Canada
you *might* need a small 1/4" or 3/8" spacer to clear the inner fenders at full steering lock.

but short answer, yes.

the 245/45 tires are low profile enough to clear the backspacing.

crotchss

Master Mechanic
Supporting Member
Apr 14, 2010
Kearney, Nebraska
I run a set of 17" Centerline Daggers on my SS. The rears are 9.5" wide wearing 285/40 Kumhos, the fronts are 8" wide wearing 245/45 Kumhos. Both rims have a 4.5" back space with no clearance issues, the rears come within 3/8" of the frame in the wheel well, but they clear.

Paladin

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Jan 15, 2013
1985cutlasssupreme said:
so you think 17x9 with 5" backspacing will work with a 275/40/17? on the back of a cutlass
I'm interested in a response to this as well. From what I've read I believe a 1/2" spacer may be necessary. Not meaning to hijack, (apologies!), but I'm interested to know if anyone is running the Year One factory repro 17x9" aluminum wheels on their g-body. I'd like to get a set but if the result will be constant rubbing then I'll have to pass. So, to 85cutlasssupreme's question, anyone running 17x9" wheels with 5" back spacing.

CWPottenger

G-Body Guru
Oct 9, 2012
It should fit, depends on rim design and tire mfg. The final profile of the wheel/tire combo varies even with rims and tires of the same size. Easiest way to figure it out is make yourself a tire mock up jig with plywood and small gauge wire like a coat hanger. mount it to your hub and cycle the axle through it's suspension travel with a jack.

FE3X CLONE

Comic Book Super Hero
Dec 2, 2009
Ohio
1985cutlasssupreme said:
so you think 17x9 with 5" backspacing will work with a 275/40/17? on the back of a cutlass

You can always measure...then you'd know for sure. ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor