roll your car???

Status
Not open for further replies.

81elcamino

Not-quite-so-new-guy
May 26, 2009
illinois
hey guys, I have an 81 elco that im building for a street/strip car and have been wondering what to do for paint. I was gunna spray the car this coming summer( would be my first time painting) but then I came across people that have used rustoleum and rolled it on! they also had an article in HOT ROD magizine about painting your car with a roller. it says to thin the rustolum 40 to 50 percent with mineral sperits and you want a watery consinstancy. also it says to aply aprox 8 to 10 thin coats to acheive desired finish and sand with 600 grit between coats and 1000, 1500, and then 2000 to finish it. some people have said it costs between 30 and a 100 bucks! but its takes about two weeks to finish. buuuut if you have the time and no money like i do this sounds like a GREAT idea!!!! let me know what you guys think or if anybody has done this, thanks joe

check out rollyourcar.com for pics and more info

Attachments

• DSCN0769 (640x432).jpg
    DSCN0769 (640x432).jpg
    143.9 KB · Views: 171

86Cutlass383SR

G-Body Guru
Apr 1, 2009
Sesser, IL
I've seen this all over the web, too. The Rustoleum, from what I've read, doesn't last more than 3-4 years before dulling. Other guys are using differant color tractor paints and marine-based paints.

3XBrownCutty

Royal Smart Person
Mar 20, 2008
NW PA
the John deere Blitz black is my favorite. thats if you're looking for a rat rod or hot rod look though.

RITTER

Royal Smart Person
May 26, 2007
Hillsdale, MI
If you do this the right way it actually looks pretty good, I have seen a couple in person. But I haven't heard of just using rusteolum tho 8)

gpguy

Greasemonkey
Aug 17, 2008
you can buy a gallon of enamel at any auto paint supply complete under 200. Then you only sand your car down once with 220 and shoot. I would rather go to the dentist for 3 root canals than sand my car down 8-10 times?

Reactions: 1 user

Bonnewagon

Lost in the Labyrinth
Supporting Member
Sep 18, 2009
Queens, NY
For a real beater, just brush paint it. I used left over Marine boat paint with self-leveling feature on my 300,000 mile Malibu and it's not bad. Brush marks just flow out. I sprayed a car with it once and it was a little better but not worth the extra work. If you are going to do all the body work, sanding, and priming, just use a good auto body enamel like gpguy said. That's too much work to use cheap paint.

81elcamino

Not-quite-so-new-guy
May 26, 2009
illinois
yea im going for a hot rod/ rat rod look so i was gunna use a semi gloss color and for sanding it 8 to 10 times, a couple ppl have done it that way cuz they wanted a really nice outcome. some ppl have sanded every 2 coats and it came out just as good so it wouldnt be that bad and plus the bed of the elco is rhinolined so theres that much less to do. i dont think it would be thaaat bad. and for it lasting only 3 to 4 years i dont know about that if you do a good job cuz theres one guy that did a beetle and he said his looks the same as it did 6 years ago when he first did it. Also my elco is gunna be garaged for the winters and garaged every night and i really dont want it to see any bad weather, only dryness!! lol thanks for all the input, if i do go thru with this ill for sure post up some pics!

81elcamino

Not-quite-so-new-guy
May 26, 2009
illinois
ahahaha about the root canal joke, i think i would rather do that too, but i think i can get away with less sanding, im not looking for a show car. a 10 foot car would be great for me. as far as using auto enamel, the rustoleum is an enamel,but the thought of using regular auto paint with a roller did cross my mind and also tractor paint too. its just i dont have the space to spray it myself or the money to get it done so rollering it sounded like a great idea.

86Cutlass383SR

G-Body Guru
Apr 1, 2009
Sesser, IL
Just outta curiousity, I see you are from IL too. Can you Mapquest.com and see how far from me you are? Just wondering if we have any others members close to me. PM me if ya want to.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor