BUILD THREAD Rustier then I thought!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

RabbitHoleSS

G-Body Guru
Dec 8, 2019
Indianapolis
I learned a few things this past week. 1k seam sealer shouldn't be topcoated with epoxy til its cured. Even though it says paintable in 30 mins. It wont cure. I had 3 small spots I missed. I put it on about 2 hrs before I sprayed epoxy over it. I had to scrape the epoxy off and let it dry this week because it was soft under the epoxy. Im just glad it was only 10 inches worth of seams. So I missed my recoat window. Which forced me to scuff the entire underbody(again) with 220 and red scotchbrite. Then I sprayed my epoxy as a sealer after work Thursday. 7 day recoat window on spi epoxy. So this morning I masked the car off, cleaned with w/g remover. I sprayed the first coat of raptor quite thick. Let it flash 1 hr. And sprayed the 2nd coat lighter and at a greater distance.
20200704_160000.jpg
20200704_160008.jpg
20200704_160023.jpg

It looks pretty good. Now hopefully it holds up. Im moving onto the wheel arches and fixing a dent in the driver qtr. Happy Independence Day everyone.

• Winner
  • Love
Reactions: 6 users

UC645

Royal Smart Person
Apr 20, 2020
Kittanning, Pa
Man, I think I’m gonna buy some of that raptor liner for my wheel wells, it looks great!

Reactions: 1 users

Doug Chahoy

Comic Book Super Hero
Nov 21, 2016
Its looking fantastic. Great job. I liked the Raptor for the inner roof and bed on my project.

RabbitHoleSS

G-Body Guru
Dec 8, 2019
Indianapolis
I've been working on this dent since last weekend off and on.
20191027_112938.jpg
20200705_133605.jpg

I got it straightened out quite a bit. My first time using a stud welder and slide hammer I accidentally ripped a few holes in the metal. I figured out Don't keep pulling if the metal ain't moving. I don't know if this is straight enough to finish with tiger hair. I have the patch panel but don't really wanna use it if i don't have to.
20200712_215218.jpg
20200712_215235.jpg
20200712_215225.jpg
The highs are gone and everything feels fairly straight but this area is best described as lumpy. This is also were i had to fill in the holes. I was contemplating patching this area only. As close to the body line as possible. Any insight is appreciated.

Reactions: 4 users

RabbitHoleSS

G-Body Guru
Dec 8, 2019
Indianapolis
Man, I think I’m gonna buy some of that raptor liner for my wheel wells, it looks great!
Thanks. It sprayed easy and dries hard. Its actually duller then it looks in the pictures.
Its looking fantastic. Great job. I liked the Raptor for the inner roof and bed on my project.
Thanks. I used it because It was recommended by a friend that used it on his chevy 2. Its been 2 yrs and no problems.

Doug Chahoy

Comic Book Super Hero
Nov 21, 2016
I've been working on this dent since last weekend off and on. View attachment 151697 View attachment 151670
I got it straightened out quite a bit. My first time using a stud welder and slide hammer I accidentally ripped a few holes in the metal. I figured out Don't keep pulling if the metal ain't moving. I don't know if this is straight enough to finish with tiger hair. I have the patch panel but don't really wanna use it if i don't have to. View attachment 151691 View attachment 151693 View attachment 151696 The highs are gone and everything feels fairly straight but this area is best described as lumpy. This is also were i had to fill in the holes. I was contemplating patching this area only. As close to the body line as possible. Any insight is appreciated.
If you have a good patch panel, I’d seprate the outer panel from the inner. You’ll probably find the inner could use some repair. Then install your patch panel. I use to use Tiger Hair for the first coat of filler. Now I use Metal on Metal body filler for the first coat. It’s stronger .

Reactions: 2 users

Rktpwrd

Builder of Cool Shjt
Supporting Member
Feb 2, 2015
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
I've been working on this dent since last weekend off and on. View attachment 151697 View attachment 151670
I got it straightened out quite a bit. My first time using a stud welder and slide hammer I accidentally ripped a few holes in the metal. I figured out Don't keep pulling if the metal ain't moving. I don't know if this is straight enough to finish with tiger hair. I have the patch panel but don't really wanna use it if i don't have to. View attachment 151691 View attachment 151693 View attachment 151696 The highs are gone and everything feels fairly straight but this area is best described as lumpy. This is also were i had to fill in the holes. I was contemplating patching this area only. As close to the body line as possible. Any insight is appreciated.

I too had an area that was damaged in a near identical spot, and after trying to pull it, I too ended up with the same lumpy result:

2EA97810-A1C8-4325-B5AE-31C83CAE3816.jpeg

Like Doug said, I think once you separate the outer skin from the inner structure you’ll likely find the structure sustained a little damage as well, resulting in it being so hard to pull back into shape. You’re essentially trying to pull all that damage out just by yanking on the outer skin. It just ain’t gonna go.

I ended up sourcing a patch panel from a member here, cut out all the lumpy and damaged pieces, and fixed it correctly.

EEAEE41B-C235-476C-84AE-6230FB79D02E.jpeg

70724D24-054E-477F-B367-1CDCE7855151.jpeg

83F381E2-80D4-451F-8A4D-0D524D763B98.jpeg

I think you’ll find you’ll be much happier with the end result, as well as have some piece of mind that there’s not as much filler in this high impact area if you just replace it with your patch.
Just my 2 cents.

RabbitHoleSS

G-Body Guru
Dec 8, 2019
Indianapolis
Not what I wanted to hear but it is kinda what I expected.Thanks for the advice fellas. I think ill take it.
If you have a good patch panel, I’d seprate the outer panel from the inner. You’ll probably find the inner could use some repair. Then install your patch panel. I use to use Tiger Hair for the first coat of filler. Now I use Metal on Metal body filler for the first coat. It’s stronger .
I bought this when I got the floor. Just in case I couldnt get the dent squared away.
20200713_213620.jpg

Like Doug said, I think once you separate the outer skin from the inner structure you’ll likely find the structure sustained a little damage as well, resulting in it being so hard to pull back into shape. You’re essentially trying to pull all that damage out just by yanking on the outer skin. It just ain’t gonna go.
I ended up sourcing a patch panel from a member here, cut out all the lumpy and damaged pieces, and fixed it correctly.
I think you’ll find you’ll be much happier with the end result, as well as have some piece of mind that there’s not as much filler in this high impact area if you just replace it with your patch.
Just my 2 cents.
Any advice on how not to warp the panel to death? I have a complete qtr panel but id rather it not be forced into action.

Reactions: 3 users

Doug Chahoy

Comic Book Super Hero
Nov 21, 2016
Not what I wanted to hear but it is kinda what I expected.Thanks for the advice fellas. I think ill take it.

I bought this when I got the floor. Just in case I couldnt get the dent squared away. View attachment 151762

Any advice on how not to warp the panel to death? I have a complete qtr panel but id rather it not be forced into action.
Just use as much as needed. Keep it small

• Agree

RabbitHoleSS

G-Body Guru
Dec 8, 2019
Indianapolis
Sacked up and cut the bad out. Id say it was still dented in.
20200716_161515.jpg

I pulled the inner structure to where it looked straight. It was a crusty so I cleaned it up and sprayed 2 coats of rustoleum on it.
20200716_163152.jpg

Fitting the patch was time consuming,tedious work. I felt like I got it fit pretty good. It was clamped on the side and butt clamped in 3 spots. I put another 1 at the bottom thats not in the picture.
20200716_193457.jpg

Here it is welded up.
20200716_202503.jpg

And knocked (mostly) flat.
20200716_204503.jpg

I can feel slightly were the weld is. It feels kinda low. Do I try to hammer/dolly it out?

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor