BUILD THREAD Rustier then I thought!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

RabbitHoleSS

G-Body Guru
Dec 8, 2019
Indianapolis
Well Im a dumbass. I tried shaking the can of epoxy and then disaster struck.
20200621_163409.jpg
Before i took a paint bath I welded in the rear seat belt mounts.
20200621_112449.jpg
I spent saturday cleaning the seams to bare metal. Then I brushed on unreduced epoxy.
20200621_163321.jpg
Does anyone know how long I should wait to start applying the seam sealer.

Reactions: 7 users

melloelky

Comic Book Super Hero
Oct 22, 2017
mass
not knowing what epoxy you're using,I'd error on the side of caution and wait the recommended top coat time(sealers,primers,sealers etc) before applying it.

• Agree
Reactions: 2 users

Doug Chahoy

Comic Book Super Hero
Nov 21, 2016
Instead of getting future paint/primer baths, get a small electric hand mixer with beaters.. For quart cans use one beater. I’ve been doing that for years now, always works good.

• Useful
Reactions: 4 users

RabbitHoleSS

G-Body Guru
Dec 8, 2019
Indianapolis
not knowing what epoxy you're using,I'd error on the side of caution and wait the recommended top coat time(sealers,primers,sealers etc) before applying it.
Thanks it said between 2hr and 72 hr without sanding. Ill be doing it tommorow after work.
Instead of getting future paint/primer baths, get a small electric hand mixer with beaters.. For quart cans use one beater. I’ve been doing that for years now, always works good.
I like that idea. Thanks for the advice.

Reactions: 1 users

UC645

Royal Smart Person
Apr 20, 2020
Kittanning, Pa
I used Nason epoxy and Lord Fusor epoxy seam sealer, I applied it about a day after I finished the epoxy primer, after scuffing the seams with scotchbrite.

It’s up to you after that if you want to shoot just the seams in epoxy, or the whole car.

Reactions: 1 users

RabbitHoleSS

G-Body Guru
Dec 8, 2019
Indianapolis
I used Nason epoxy and Lord Fusor epoxy seam sealer, I applied it about a day after I finished the epoxy primer, after scuffing the seams with scotchbrite.

It’s up to you after that if you want to shoot just the seams in epoxy, or the whole car.
Thanks I plan on seam sealing today. Then spraying 2 wet coats over the whole underbody tommorow, Then ill spray the raptor Thursday night. Im using sherwin williams dp210 and dynatron seam sealer. I just ordered a gallon of SPI epoxy/hardener to replace the stuff I spilled.

UC645

Royal Smart Person
Apr 20, 2020
Kittanning, Pa
I don’t know if I mentioned it before, but a tip with the seam sealer: mask off how wide you want it to be. I didn’t do that with mine and they look as bad as GM’s work. You’ll definitely want rubber gloves and as stupid as this sounds, if the sealer sticks to the gloves, spit on the fingertip you’re using to spread it.

• Agree
Reactions: 2 users

RabbitHoleSS

G-Body Guru
Dec 8, 2019
Indianapolis
I started with 6 tubes of dynatex gtx seam sealer. It went on so thick. It has the consistency of cold roofing tar and spread like it too. I ran out so I went to the local paint store and got 7 tubes of excel seam sealer. It has a runny consistency. And flowed smooth after I spread it.
20200622_143440.jpg
Im sure I didnt make it look much better then GM(if any) but I know its sealed up much tighter.
20200622_143522.jpg

I mixed the epoxy 4:1:10% I added the 10% reducer to help it flow and dry per advice from the body shop down the road. He used the same epoxy for a while.It seemed to go down ok. I used close to 1/2 sprayable gallon on it in 2 coats. Layed it on thick and waited 30 mins to flash before the 2nd coat.
20200623_215751.jpg
20200623_215800.jpg

Before I started I put plastic up to split the garage in half. Then made a make shift booth out of a boxfan,plastic, and furnace filters. I didnt blow up and no overspray made it out of the garage. I also wet the floor down after I blew all the dust out. The fumes are serious. My neighbors weren't pissed but they weren't exactly happy. Im buying them dinner for Thursday night so they're out of the house when I spray the raptor.
20200623_215808.jpg

Im out of epoxy and hardener now. So hopefully my order from spi comes this week

• Winner
  • Happy
Reactions: 9 users
Nov 4, 2012
I don't know how I've managed to miss this. This is some really awesome work. (y)

• Agree
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor