BUILD THREAD Rustier then I thought!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

RabbitHoleSS

G-Body Guru
Dec 8, 2019
Indianapolis
I got the g body seat tracks mounted to the f body seats using the g body spacers/bolts. Then I put them in to make sure I welded the brackets in right.
20201010_152914.jpg

I swept out the cab. Cleaned it with 99/1 dawn and water mix. Then glass cleaner. Then wax/grease remover and let it flash 30 mins. After the wait I sprayed the seams with epoxy. I Let it dry about 8 hrs before seam sealing. I ran out and the paint stores are closed weekends. Im gonna pick up more tommorow.
20201011_122047.jpg

I put my floor shift column together. Any tips on cleaning that other wheel?
20200920_111832.jpg

Ive also got the frame box sections made. Ill cut access holes in after its welded. I think ill cut the rear half moon sections square and box them in. The fronts are gonna be left open at the bottom.
20201011_143611.jpg
20201011_143606.jpg

Im just gonna lift the frame and set it on blocks/wood/ metal shims to get it as level as I can and weld braces across the middle. I need to buy body bolts and figure out brake/fuel lines soon too.

Reactions: 9 users

1320John$$$

G-Body Guru
Sep 18, 2019
Pennsylvania
I see your coming up on your one year anniversary keep at it time flies when your having fun

Reactions: 1 users

RabbitHoleSS

G-Body Guru
Dec 8, 2019
Indianapolis
Down here, we call that a Fred Flintstone floor pan. You can put you feet down to stop.
Yep the Flintstone mod was pretty well done on it. I guess ill just have to use the brakes now.
I just got caught up. This bish is looking great! Nice work man!
Thanks I appreciate it. Im looking forward to seeing updates on your regal.
I see your coming up on your one year anniversary keep at it time flies when your having fun
Yea it does but I cant help feel like I should've gotten more done this summer. Work and kids have kicked my a** this year. I hatched a plan in Feb to work 20 saturdays to fund a t56 magnum from rpm. Probably gonna have to work 10 more. Im headed out now to work on the frame I want it painted before it gets too cold.

Reactions: 5 users

RabbitHoleSS

G-Body Guru
Dec 8, 2019
Indianapolis
I've been grinding away at the frame lately. I got most the wax and paint removed from the the #4 mount forward. I burnt my HF grinder up, so I put new brushes in and went to buy another cuz you can never have too many grinders.
20201018_211652.jpg
I removed the 7.5,shocks,springs, and control arms. I couldn't figure out how to remove the ebrake without taking the shoes apart so I took a bunch of pics since I usually do 1 at a time and cheat off the other side.
20201018_152502.jpg

Then I worked on leveling the frame. I used a level and got the bubble in the lines sitting the level on the c channels and 2 pieces of angle iron across the c channels. It was all kinds of uneven sitting on the garage floor. I sprayed weld thru inside the channels as rust prevention. I prepped it like I do everything else but I could scrape it off with my fingertip a week after. So I had to strip it all off and prep the channels again. Then I sprayed 2 wet coats of epoxy in the channels and on the inside of my box panels. It sticks like glue. My impression of weld thru primer is to only use exactly where your welding and noplace else, as it offers little corrosion protection imo. I've got eastwoods internal frame coating on its way. I want to apply it within spi epoxy 7 day recoat window.
20201012_155453.jpg

I welded 2 pcs of angle(bed rails) to each side to keep it from spreading. My measurements didn't change after 1 side was welded.
20201018_211640.jpg

Then I started boxing them in. I started with .025 solid wire. It just didn't get hot enough. So I switched to .035 fluxcore. It seemed to get good penetration. I actually ran it with gas and Im pretty sure it cut down on alot of the dirtiness in fluxcore welding. I welded the length top and bottom. Using clamps to keep the bottom tight while i welded the top. Id weld a couple inches, move my clamp 6" and hammer in between to get a tight fit. Repeat on the bottom.
20201018_152448.jpg

I have the pass side fit and ready to weld but my son wanted to throw the football and I had ribeyes to cook so I called it a day.
20201018_213201.jpg

My garage is so cluttered/dirty I feel like im boxed in. I cant find anything, I have no room to walk. Its out of control and getting cleaned tommorow.

• Love
Reactions: 5 users

RabbitHoleSS

G-Body Guru
Dec 8, 2019
Indianapolis
I spent Mon cleaning my garage. Then Tuesday I welded the pass c channel. Still gotta figure out how im gonna terminate the ends.
20201019_162555.jpg

I also got after the rear frame. That black wax is for the birds. Its way thicker from the rear wheel humps back.
20201019_162538.jpg

I knew today was gonna be my last chance to do any spraying without heating my garage. So I woke up at 5am to start scuffing all the seams and making sure everything had good 80 grit scratch in it. Then I swept the cab/trunk out with my shop vac. After work I swept again then cleaned it with wax/grease remover. I sprayed 2 wet coats with 30 min in between. It took almost 1/2 gallon of epoxy. I probably put it on a little thick as there's a few runs.
20201022_212642.jpg
20201022_212655.jpg
20201022_212703.jpg

• Love
Reactions: 13 users

RabbitHoleSS

G-Body Guru
Dec 8, 2019
Indianapolis
The floors look great man. The frame box looks good too. Making good progress!
Looking great

Thanks. Im looking forward to shifting gear into the drivetrain.Its nice to get stuff completed. It gives you some extra motivation. In between when your spendings hrs with no real visual success is depressing. I spent probably 8 hrs sanding/cleaning for 2 hrs of spraying.
Looking good, brutha! (y)(y) What gauge metal did you use for the c-channel box? I wouldn't close the ends; it'll be easier to fish stuff through.
Thanks. It was in the 14 ga sheet metal pile at my local metal suppliers "boneyard. It was about the same as the frame.
Looking good still my favorite build thread
Thanks alot. That's pretty cool since there's Alot of awesome build threads on here

Reactions: 2 users
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor