BUILD THREAD Rustier then I thought!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

64nailhead

Goat Herder
Dec 1, 2014
Upstate NY
You can swap injector wires without issue.

Be careful with solder. It will wick through the wires, which seems like a good thing, but it isn't because the heat will make the insulation flimsy and it becomes an easy spot for wire breaks (right next to the solder joint.) A piece of tight fitting heat shrink helps support the wire next to the joint.

Regarding the switch on the shift shaft, the factory used that for reverse lights and neutral safety, as you're aware. But you can use the column switches, if using a column shift, and everything works properly OTHER THAN calibrating the column shifter to the shift shaft. The concern, as might already know, is starting the car when the transmission isn't in the correct gear - it can cause for some excitement and/or mayhem.

Reactions: 2 users

RabbitHoleSS

G-Body Guru
Dec 8, 2019
Indianapolis
You can swap injector wires without issue.

Be careful with solder. It will wick through the wires, which seems like a good thing, but it isn't because the heat will make the insulation flimsy and it becomes an easy spot for wire breaks (right next to the solder joint.) A piece of tight fitting heat shrink helps support the wire next to the joint.

Regarding the switch on the shift shaft, the factory used that for reverse lights and neutral safety, as you're aware. But you can use the column switches, if using a column shift, and everything works properly OTHER THAN calibrating the column shifter to the shift shaft. The concern, as might already know, is starting the car when the transmission isn't in the correct gear - it can cause for some excitement and/or mayhem.
Thanks for the explanation on the switch. I'm gonna use a floor shifter either factory or aftermarket. I still want to figure out how to hookup so it won't start in any gear.
How do I swap the wires without soldering?The terminals are different and It didn't cross my mind to buy new terminals until after I was done tbh.

64nailhead

Goat Herder
Dec 1, 2014
Upstate NY
Non heat shrink butt splices of the correct size and marine grade heat shrink. Or any heat shrink with sealant inside of it.

But I've soldered a kajillion wires in engine harnesses without issue. I use the butt splices and put a small amount of solder into the middle of the butt splice.

When I mentioned be careful, I meant that you can apply too much.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users

Hurricane77

Master Mechanic
Nov 11, 2020
Ottawa, Canada
These guys put together a lot of course etc on all aspect of motorsports and performance. They have courses specifically on wiring etc and why solder is not always a great idea. Some of it is kind of overkill on a raod car, but that's always good stuff to be learned.

They also have a number of free content on YT. Go directly to YouTube, should link to the playlist on wiring

Reactions: 2 users

RabbitHoleSS

G-Body Guru
Dec 8, 2019
Indianapolis
Non heat shrink butt splices of the correct size and marine grade heat shrink. Or any heat shrink with sealant inside of it.

But I've soldered a kajillion wires in engine harnesses without issue. I use the butt splices and put a small amount of solder into the middle of the butt splice.

When I mentioned be careful, I meant that you can apply too much.
Thanks. I went out and put the harness on the engine to see if the injector plugs were fitting. They're all long so I could redo it. 1 has to be shortened. It looks stupid. I can see how it puts too much heat in the wire, just like welding makes the metal next to your joint the weak point. I tried to wick the solder in the wire.. I have a bunch of butt connectors, I thought soldering was the "right" way to do it. I like your idea of soldering the wire to the connector. I always question my connections. Seems like they always wiggle a little bit.
These guys put together a lot of course etc on all aspect of motorsports and performance. They have courses specifically on wiring etc and why solder is not always a great idea. Some of it is kind of overkill on a raod car, but that's always good stuff to be learned.

They also have a number of free content on YT. Go directly to YouTube, should link to the playlist on wiring
Thats a good short video. Thanks, I like the idea of staggering the splices. I've seen a few of there videos on other topics.

Reactions: 1 user

64nailhead

Goat Herder
Dec 1, 2014
Upstate NY
If you’re going to re-do them, then consider some loom and no electrical tape (looks like what you’re using). The cloth tape is a much better option also.

I’ve fallen in love with the mesh loom.

Attachments

• BBF502E5-D067-42AF-B440-604F31D9AC5C.png
    BBF502E5-D067-42AF-B440-604F31D9AC5C.png
    250.5 KB · Views: 79
  • Agree
Reactions: 3 users

RabbitHoleSS

G-Body Guru
Dec 8, 2019
Indianapolis
If you’re going to re-do them, then consider some loom and no electrical tape (looks like what you’re using). The cloth tape is a much better option also.

So you just put the wires in without taping it up first? I planned on putting everything in loom but hadn't really considered the mesh loom. I'm probably gonna redo them. 1.) They're too long 2.) I like the idea of staggering the joints and lightly soldering the wires after using butt connectors. I don't really wanna risk shorting out any injectors. Thanks for the help.

Reactions: 1 user

64nailhead

Goat Herder
Dec 1, 2014
Upstate NY
If you want to tape and then wrap in loom, then use something other than electrical tape. You’ll thank me later when you have to add, fix or pull wires out if that sticky crap.

The cloth tape is a 100% better option. But you don’t need to wrap the complete harness. If you do that with the cloth tape, then you need to have the bends how they need to be because it is difficult to form the harness once it’s completely wrapped in tape.

Hurricane77

Master Mechanic
Nov 11, 2020
Ottawa, Canada

This stuff looks sooo much nicer than split loom and more flexible for routing around corners etc.

motorheadmike

Geezer
Nov 18, 2009
Saskatchewan, Truckistan
If you are going to wire... you might as well go balls out:

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor