BUILD THREAD Rustier then I thought!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

RabbitHoleSS

G-Body Guru
Dec 8, 2019
Indianapolis
I finally got around to ordering my converter. I went ahead and used Ryan Jans and florida torque converter. He was really helpful steering me in the right direction. They blueprint the converters, it's a 245mm 3400 stall, billet front cover budget converter. He said it's really loose and warned me on its drivability on the street. It was 589$. He also insisted I atleast put the hd2 kit in the transmission, but I'm not sure if thats in my abilities or necessary. The converter takes 4 weeks to build/ship. So im gonna start on the bodywork again. Probably gonna shoot it in epoxy and paint the jambs. So I can reassemble the car and do the body work while waiting.

Reactions: 2 users

Northernregal

Sloppy McRodbender
Oct 24, 2017
Red Deer, Northern Montana territory
I finally got around to ordering my converter. I went ahead and used Ryan Jans and florida torque converter. He was really helpful steering me in the right direction. They blueprint the converters, it's a 245mm 3400 stall, billet front cover budget converter. He said it's really loose and warned me on its drivability on the street. It was 589$. He also insisted I atleast put the hd2 kit in the transmission, but I'm not sure if thats in my abilities or necessary. The converter takes 4 weeks to build/ship. So im gonna start on the bodywork again. Probably gonna shoot it in epoxy and paint the jambs. So I can reassemble the car and do the body work while waiting.
Good choice, I listened to his podcast with Happle, he seems like a pretty cool guy.

Reactions: 1 users

Rktpwrd

Builder of Cool Shjt
Supporting Member
Feb 2, 2015
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
He also insisted I atleast put the hd2 kit in the transmission, but I'm not sure if thats in my abilities or necessary.

I’m certainly no transmission guy, in fact they intimidate the hell out of me, but I installed one into my 200R4.
If you can turn a wrench, follow written instructions, and can keep track of how things came apart/go back together, then you can do it yourself. It’s really not hard at all.

Reactions: 3 users

RabbitHoleSS

G-Body Guru
Dec 8, 2019
Indianapolis
I’m certainly no transmission guy, in fact they intimidate the hell out of me, but I installed one into my 200R4.
If you can turn a wrench, follow written instructions, and can keep track of how things came apart/go back together, then you can do it yourself. It’s really not hard at all.
Thanks and I'm the same way with opening up transmissions and diffs.
I feel like I can handle the part shown in the video below but he doesn't do any of the pump mods. I'm watched a guy with a Malibu do the pump mods . It seems fairly straightforward and the instructions look detailed.

The guy doing the pump mods skipped the springs in the front hub. Anyone ever done this step?
Aside from that I think I can install the kit.

Good choice, I listened to his podcast with Happle, he seems like a pretty cool guy.
Agreed.Seemed like a gearhead to the core. He spent 30 mins Explaining the build process and asking about my car and its intended uses. Then told me about the "really trick" stuff they do to 4l80s and if I ever wanted to go further I should bring it to him.I kind of told him at the end I'm not really building a racecar. He said, "yea you are, your just in denial"
I thought that was funny.

• Haha

69hurstolds

Geezer
Supporting Member
Jan 2, 2006
Grammar Police infraction! 5 Demerits! :LOL:

200-4R!!!! Say it with me.... TWO. HUNDRED. FOUR. R!!!!

giphy.gif

• Haha
Reactions: 4 users

Rktpwrd

Builder of Cool Shjt
Supporting Member
Feb 2, 2015
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
Grammar Police infraction! 5 Demerits! :LOL:

200-4R!!!! Say it with me.... TWO. HUNDRED. FOUR. R!!!!

giphy.gif
Meh, Tomato, Tom-ato, potato, pot-ato. How you say it largely depends on where you’re from me thinks. Just like an engine is an engine, not a motor. That’s the one that always irks me.
😅

69hurstolds

Geezer
Supporting Member
Jan 2, 2006
Meh, Tomato, Tom-ato, potato, pot-ato. How you say it largely depends on where you’re from me thinks. Just like an engine is an engine, not a motor. That’s the one that always irks me.
😅
Just make sure to bolt whichever transmission you're using to your MOTOR. :)

You can't argue with historical incorrectness. It's been ingrained into the vernacular of the "motoring" public. They even named a magazine Motor Trend. Comply, or NO SOUP FOR YOU!

AVvXsEhA0q39WvY9FBWdRdxKpCw53Ge1RibcJTgAtsuGxJtBqWchfuwz042sH_iu58Z6w4nNc5FqS2i5Ls46UuBhVrsXhknqVaM-nmTskeD-f8UX9R6p9CeURLwIGsppf0qh-f3IrX4OSOs72fPHdLrEeC16pJdcrWNkaRvSmT7S2ElDEK1IbWa26Tc74QD-Dw=s16000

• Haha

69hurstolds

Geezer
Supporting Member
Jan 2, 2006
Sorry for the digression.

RabbitHoleSS , as far as doing mods on the 4L80e, you can do it. Read, then re-read the instructions for the shift kit and if you decide to do any pump mods, learn exactly what you're trying to accomplish and read instructions for that. You have the skills, the only thing I think you're a bit worried of is the lack of experience and knowledge of installing the kit and doing any mods. Obviously, if you're not comfortable with something, either farm it out to someone who can do it, or decide whether it's worth doing at this time.

You can rebuild ANYTHING mechanical on the car. Trust me. I'm confident you can do it. Now you just have to convince yourself.

• Agree

Northernregal

Sloppy McRodbender
Oct 24, 2017
Red Deer, Northern Montana territory
Thanks and I'm the same way with opening up transmissions and diffs.
I feel like I can handle the part shown in the video below but he doesn't do any of the pump mods. I'm watched a guy with a Malibu do the pump mods . It seems fairly straightforward and the instructions look detailed.

The guy doing the pump mods skipped the springs in the front hub. Anyone ever done this step?
Aside from that I think I can install the kit.

Agreed.Seemed like a gearhead to the core. He spent 30 mins Explaining the build process and asking about my car and its intended uses. Then told me about the "really trick" stuff they do to 4l80s and if I ever wanted to go further I should bring it to him.I kind of told him at the end I'm not really building a racecar. He said, "yea you are, your just in denial"
I thought that was funny.

I will echo that you can do it. A TH400/4L80e is a pretty simple transmission to disassemble and reassemble.

I did the springs in mine and I used a couple of big 8" clamps to compress the retainer to get the circlip off. It's a pain in the butt but not hard to do, just finicky. Probably pics about 20 pages back in the cutlass thread. Or several good videos on YouTube documenting the process.

I will say, make sure you have a replacement rear carrier retainer bolt and the aluminum front OD assembly bolt. Both are single use only, I would also suggest a set of sonnax poly coated check valve balls, it'll save your valve body on the hard tire chirping shifts with the pressure cranked up.

RabbitHoleSS

G-Body Guru
Dec 8, 2019
Indianapolis
Sorry for the digression.

RabbitHoleSS , as far as doing mods on the 4L80e, you can do it. Read, then re-read the instructions for the shift kit and if you decide to do any pump mods, learn exactly what you're trying to accomplish and read instructions for that. You have the skills, the only thing I think you're a bit worried of is the lack of experience and knowledge of installing the kit and doing any mods. Obviously, if you're not comfortable with something, either farm it out to someone who can do it, or decide whether it's worth doing at this time.

You can rebuild ANYTHING mechanical on the car. Trust me. I'm confident you can do it. Now you just have to convince yourself.
Thanks for the kind words, I'm reading up on what the mods do. After some research it looks like The most important mod seems to be the dual feeding 3rd. From what I read and talked to jakes performance. He says skip the pressure relief switch,don't use the kits center case bolt. Use a sonnax boost valve and poly balls. Also said to drill a .060 hole in the drum. He also said leave the center seal of the drum.

I will echo that you can do it. A TH400/4L80e is a pretty simple transmission to disassemble and reassemble.

I did the springs in mine and I used a couple of big 8" clamps to compress the retainer to get the circlip off. It's a pain in the butt but not hard to do, just finicky. Probably pics about 20 pages back in the cutlass thread. Or several good videos on YouTube documenting the process.

I will say, make sure you have a replacement rear carrier retainer bolt and the aluminum front OD assembly bolt. Both are single use only, I would also suggest a set of sonnax poly coated check valve balls, it'll save your valve body on the hard tire chirping shifts with the pressure cranked up.
Thanks for the vote of confidence. I ordered the hd2kit and sonnax boost valve. I'm gonna do the springs too. It doesn't seem to bad. The whole kit looks fairly simple.
NorthernRegal are those the bolts and check balls?

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor