Silverado 5.3 update 12/11

Status
Not open for further replies.

Supercharged111

Comic Book Super Hero
Oct 25, 2019
Colorado Springs, CO
Thank you for sharing this info. Definitely seems like the easy way to go until one is ready to dig into the motor.

Almost as easy as unplugging the MAP sensor on the brake booster. Not quite as free though.

Reactions: 1 user

mikester

Comic Book Super Hero
Mar 10, 2010
Small town NY
Thank you for sharing this info. Definitely seems like the easy way to go until one is ready to dig into the motor.
Theyve been around for a few years already. I was thinking about getting one for my last truck but never got around to it. I bought that one new. A 2011 GMC 1500 crew. Pretty much the same truck as the '13. At 19K the #7 plug fouled and the truck started running like crap. It happened again a few thousand miles later. I think it was 29 or 39K miles they pulled the motor apart and replaced pistons and rings. It was using a ton of oil. It was better after that but the truck was probably the worst GM truck I ever owned. Hub bearings went bad, the side of the seat blew out before 20K, dash cracked in two places a year after I bought it. I kept it for quite a few years but after things started to fall apart I didnt really take care of it. Bascally I beat it like a rental. In the end I traded it in down in MD for the '13. Up until this oil pressure issue started I had no issues with this one except for a starter and the left hub bearing and both of those happened over the last 20 months. Truck rides nice. If they get this long block in without any crap I might keep this for at least another 2-3 years.

Reactions: 1 user

scoti

Royal Smart Person
Sep 5, 2019
Texas
Almost as easy as unplugging the MAP sensor on the brake booster. Not quite as free though.
True.

I didn't know if there were any concerns w/just unplugging the MAP sensor @ the brake booster. Just trying to learn about the potential end arounds for this system.

Supercharged111

Comic Book Super Hero
Oct 25, 2019
Colorado Springs, CO
True.

I didn't know if there were any concerns w/just unplugging the MAP sensor @ the brake booster. Just trying to learn about the potential end arounds for this system.

I unplugged mine years ago. I just have to remember to pull codes every now and again as the CEL is constantly on. No other downsides that I've seen.

Built6spdMCSS

Geezer
Jun 15, 2012
Florida Beach
That's why you put electrical tape over the light.

Think About It GIF by Identity

scoti

Royal Smart Person
Sep 5, 2019
Texas
I unplugged mine years ago. I just have to remember to pull codes every now and again as the CEL is constantly on. No other downsides that I've seen.
I guess for those that don't have a scanner to pull codes & don't want the CEL on, the disabler is a good alternative.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor