"Simple" LS Wiring Questions

Status
Not open for further replies.

Texas82GP

Just-a-worm
Apr 3, 2015
Spring, Texas
64nailhead,
See the attached picture. The brown wire is the one labeled "IND LIGHT". It's part of the white two terminal plug that plugs into the alternator case. Any idea how/if this should attach to the LS alternator?

Thanks.
John
When you want to tag a member, type the @ symbol before their handle and the forum will notify them, like this 64nailhead

Reactions: 1 user

JohnIL

Greasemonkey
Sep 9, 2020
Central Illinois
64nailhead,
See the attached picture. The brown wire is the one labeled "IND LIGHT". It's part of the white two terminal plug that plugs into the alternator case. Any idea how/if this should attach to the LS alternator?

Thanks.
John
64nailhead

Thanks.
John

Attachments

• 062172c3395322f71ba8a4eb80e3b316.jpg
    062172c3395322f71ba8a4eb80e3b316.jpg
    16.6 KB · Views: 78

64nailhead

Goat Herder
Dec 1, 2014
Upstate NY
On the B terminal of the 4 wire connector you need one of two things. Either a resistor to a 12 volt source or no resistor and it connected to your idiot light. Either setup acts as an exciter. I've read that you can have both a wire with the resistor and have it hooked up to an idiot charge light.

Do you want the factory charging light indicator in the dash to function? Do you have one?

Reactions: 1 users

JohnIL

Greasemonkey
Sep 9, 2020
Central Illinois
Thanks again to the geniuses here on the forum, we have the wiring more or less sorted. I thought I would add a follow up message, in case anyone else runs into the same mystery that we did.

The magical keyed 12V pink wire was right was right were Elcam and Texas82GP said it would be. On a gas engine, the pink wire feeds the distributor. On a diesel engine, the pink wire feeds the injector pump. Either way, it is a 10ish gauge wire that supplies 12 volts when the key is on.

The "brake switch" wire was in the main vehicle harness. It is a 14ish gauge green wire and it works exactly the way 81Cutlass explained. With the key on, you will see 12V. When the brake pedal is pressed, the circuit opens.

I don't have a solid answer on the brown alternator indicator wire just yet. I think the LS alternator has everything it needs, but I won't know for certain that its charging until we get a volt meter on it with the engine running.

Reactions: 3 users
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor