smoke thru vents

Status
Not open for further replies.

90hurst/oldsguy

Greasemonkey
Jan 31, 2013
Has anyone had a problem with random smoke coming out the vents but get out of the gas it disappears, and put slider on the cold side. :? Its never done this before and i was driving about 70mph it smell like oil or some type fluid.

L92 OLDS

Comic Book Super Hero
Mar 30, 2012
West Michigan
90hurst/oldsguy said:
Has anyone had a problem with random smoke coming out the vents but get out of the gas it disappears, and put slider on the cold side. :? Its never done this before and i was driving about 70mph it smell like oil or some type fluid.

If you're smelling something, my first guess would be leaking heater core.

Evan11

Royal Smart Person
Apr 17, 2009
Southern Indiana
X2

oldsofb

Royal Smart Person
Supporting Member
Dec 7, 2007
Maryland
If the A/C was on it could be that. I've seen systems a little low cause this. The evap core gets cold but can't stay in that range and starts to defrost causing water vapor to come out the vents. Switch to defrost and run on the warm side. If the window fogs up and stays that way it's the heater core. The antifreeze won't evap off the glass. Good luck.

Hutch

redboy504

Greasemonkey
Oct 20, 2010
New Orleans, LA
Heater Core.

1evilregal

Comic Book Super Hero
Apr 23, 2009
Greensboro, NC
is it kind of a "sickley-sweet" smell, or oil/tires burning smell?

1evilregal

Comic Book Super Hero
Apr 23, 2009
Greensboro, NC
90hurst/oldsguy said:
it was more of a oil smell
check to see if you've gotten a oil leak spring up on your v/cover gaskets... sounds like you may have some of the burn-off smoke getting past the cowl rubber and into the a/c intake... don't know why the smoke would only appear on one side of the heat/air settings though...

double check your antifreeze level as well, in case your sense of oil smell is different than others'. :wink:

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor