Space City 1982 GP Build

Status
Not open for further replies.

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
I bought mine rebuilt from Astro Performance in Florida so I should be good to go. It's my understanding the stock WC T5 is rated for 280 ft. lbs. and Astro made some improvements while they were in there. My crate engine is advertised to have a peak torque of 400 ft. lbs. Initially, that sounds scary but the 280 ft. lbs. Is probably conservative considering plenty of T5's survived in warmed up Third Gen Camaros at the time. From what I understand, they break from antics/abuse.

you won't have this problem but with the sloppy stock shifter overshifting caused alot of the problems with the transmission.

• Agree
Reactions: 1 user

MrSony

Geezer
Nov 15, 2014
Des Moines, Iowa
Any updates? :p

• Agree

Texas82GP

Just-a-worm
Apr 3, 2015
Spring, Texas
Not much to report. Swapped the black valve covers for the chrome and swapped to the ARP valve cover bolts to match all the others. Installed the heater hose nipple in the intake. It's pretty nice. Stainless steel with a 12-point fitting so it matches all the 12-point bolts. Installed a few stainless steel plugs to close up some ports in the intake and heads I won't be using. Installed the dipstick and the plug wire looms. The dipstick tube and plug wire loom are competing for the same real estate at the front of the passenger side so I'm fabricating a little bracket to fasten to the dipstick tube bracket that I can fasten the plug wire loom to. Not finished with that yet. Installed the oil pressure switch for the choke and the oil pressure sender for the gauge. Installed the ball stud in the block for the clutch equalizer. Don't have pictures of everything.

I'm just now starting to feel good after recovering from having about a foot of my colon cut out in early November. As soon as I went back to work in early December I ended up with Plantar Fasciitis in both my feet. As soon as I started getting over that, I ended up with a strange skin infection or insect bite that really set me back. I'm feeling pretty good now so I might make some more progress in the near future. Dad's car remains the priority though.
20170114_153902.jpg

20170114_153951.jpg

Oh, and quite awhile back, I bought some vintage 1982 Texas plates for the car. In Texas, you can register and use the vintage plates. The car didn't have any plates because when I bought it, it wouldn't pass inspection because of all the leaks. Also, I didn't have the right stuff to properly mount the front plate. I got the front plate mounted on there properly on Saturday. It's a small thing but makes me happy. More redneck engineering corrected.
20170121_105130.jpg

Reactions: 6 users

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
Sorry to hear about your health problems, you are doing an awesome job on that engine...if there are metal parts you are not intending to paint there is a clear engine paint that I have used on the water pump and it kept the cast metal looking new

motorheadmike

Geezer
Nov 18, 2009
Saskatchewan, Truckistan
I am a little late to the party on the WC T5 conversation. I had a '91 Z28 back around 2007/08 and that thing had a very warmed up TPI 305 (ported heads, intake, big roller cam, headers, yada yada yada) and it had torque for days; felt like a strong 350. Anyway, that trans was original to the car and had a lot of miles on it, and worked flawless in daily driver and auto-x applications. It did get a little notchy in -20*C weather. I ran Mobil 1 synthetic ATF in it. The Z28 had a 3.08 posi diff in it, FWIW.

MrSony

Geezer
Nov 15, 2014
Des Moines, Iowa
Any progress is good progress. Glad to hear you're doing better, if even it's only slight.

Longroof79

Rocket Powered Basset Hound
Oct 14, 2008
Gainesville, Fl
Jared,
I'm glad to hear that you're doing better after that string of health issues. Hopefully you'll soon be back on your car. It's gotta be difficult knowing you have all this work waiting in the wings, but don't have the gumption to proceed....plus your dad's car is next in line.

I like the vintage Texas tag. I have a small white Texas tag that says "JACK" on it. It came with an old MG that I bought many years ago. It's amazing the things you hold on to over time.

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users

O. D. Showtime

Comic Book Super Hero
Feb 6, 2009
Regina Sask. Canada
Good to hear you're feeling better Jared, that was quite a string of health issues. The wife had plantar fasciitis quite a few years back...not fun. Nice to see you making some progress, even a little is steps closer to the end!

Last edited:
  • Agree
Reactions: 1 users

Happy camper

Master Mechanic
Nov 21, 2016
San Dimas Ca.
Thanks for taking the time to take all the pictures and the wright up.
Every time I look at your progress it gives me some more inspiration to tackle my project.

• Agree
Reactions: 1 users

Texas82GP

Just-a-worm
Apr 3, 2015
Spring, Texas
Sorry to hear about your health problems, you are doing an awesome job on that engine...if there are metal parts you are not intending to paint there is a clear engine paint that I have used on the water pump and it kept the cast metal looking new

Thanks Steve. I always appreciate the kind words and the tips. I had read about clear engine paint yellowing with time. I'm guessing you haven't experienced that. I have a can of that Shark Hide metal sealant but have yet to use any of it. I'm not under the impression that stuff is a permanent solution.

I am a little late to the party on the WC T5 conversation. I had a '91 Z28 back around 2007/08 and that thing had a very warmed up TPI 305 (ported heads, intake, big roller cam, headers, yada yada yada) and it had torque for days; felt like a strong 350. Anyway, that trans was original to the car and had a lot of miles on it, and worked flawless in daily driver and auto-x applications. It did get a little notchy in -20*C weather. I ran Mobil 1 synthetic ATF in it. The Z28 had a 3.08 posi diff in it, FWIW.

Thanks Mike. I appreciate that anecdote. It makes me feel even better about the T5 being able to survive in my cruiser.

Any progress is good progress. Glad to hear you're doing better, if even it's only slight.

Thanks man. I feel about the best I have since I went in for surgery. Still don't have all my strength back but getting there.

Jared,
I'm glad to hear that you're doing better after that string of health issues. Hopefully you'll soon be back on your car. It's gotta be difficult knowing you have all this work waiting in the wings, but don't have the gumption to proceed....plus your dad's car is next in line.

I like the vintage Texas tag. I have a small white Texas tag that says "JACK" on it. It came with an old MG that I bought many years ago. It's amazing the things you hold on to over time.

Thanks Jack. You know, when I didn't feel well, I had no interest in working on it. Now that I'm feeling better, I'm ready to get back on it. Dad's car will be getting the Saturdays though.

I'm pretty happy with the vintage Texas tags. The rear plate still has the 82 stickers on it. When I unloaded the car off of the 18 wheeler, I literally got pulled over for no plates here in my subdivision just taking the car for a spin around the block. When I bought the plates, I just wanted some plates. Now I think I will stay with them and run them.

Good to hear you're feeling better Jared, that was quite a string of health issues. The wife had plantar fasciitis quite a few years back...not fun. Nice to see you making some progress, even a little is steps closer to the end!

Thanks Kevin. I wouldn't wish that Plantar Fasciitis on my worst enemy.

Thanks for taking the time to take all the pictures and the wright up.
Every time I look at your progress it gives me some more inspiration to tackle my project.

You're welcome. Thanks for the positive feedback and interest in my build.

Reactions: 3 users
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor