Space City 1982 GP Build

Status
Not open for further replies.

Texas82GP

Just-a-worm
Apr 3, 2015
Spring, Texas
Here is another look at the HVAC box buttoned up....

20171124_143917.jpg

It's come a long way from here....

20170311_172118.jpg

20170313_120248.jpg

My next move was to tape up the HVAC case so I could clean the portion of the firewall above it and prep it for primer and paint. While the top was off of the HVAC case I chipped off some hard seam sealer that had sealed the top to the firewall. This caused plenty of scratches to bare metal. Also some of the firewall in this area had some surface rust. First I cleaned the area with simple green. Then I wire brushed. Then I used a red Scotch Brite. Then I wiped with Laquer Thiner on a micro-fiber cloth. Then I brushed on Rustoleum Rusty Metal primer. This is the same stuff I used on the frame. It should treat the rust and I'm brushing on to avoid the overspray mess....

20171124_163756.jpg

20171124_165216.jpg

I started today running for supplies. I went over to the storage earlier and brushed on the first coat of satin black. I've been home most of today taking care of chores. I thought I was going to have a family commitment tomorrow but that fell through so my goal is to get the rest of the firewall prepared and in primer. That's it for now. Thanks as always for tuning in.

Reactions: 7 users

liquidh8

Comic Book Super Hero
Looks awesome, I didn't know there was a gasket kit for those.

• Agree
Reactions: 1 users

Texas82GP

Just-a-worm
Apr 3, 2015
Spring, Texas
Looks awesome, I didn't know there was a gasket kit for those.
Thanks. That's high praise from you since you do such awesome work Jim. Here is the kit. It included much more than I used but it was nice having this stuff....
20170315_170839.jpg

• Informative
Reactions: 2 users

liquidh8

Comic Book Super Hero
Thanks. That's high praise from you since you do such awesome work Jim. Here is the kit. It included much more than I used but it was nice having this stuff.... View attachment 77643
I appreciate it, your work ain't so bad either! [emoji869][emoji869]

When I did my HVAC box, I used 3m strip caulk for most of it, and fabricated the other seals. This would have saved a ton of time!

Look forward to more updates!

Reactions: 1 users

Texas82GP

Just-a-worm
Apr 3, 2015
Spring, Texas
  • Informative
Reactions: 4 users

Texas82GP

Just-a-worm
Apr 3, 2015
Spring, Texas
I appreciate it, your work ain't so bad either! [emoji869][emoji869]

When I did my HVAC box, I used 3m strip caulk for most of it, and fabricated the other seals. This would have saved a ton of time!

Look forward to more updates!

Looking good Jared!

Nice job Jared. Looking forward to more updates.

Thanks guys. I really appreciate the support and the interest. It does help.

I got over to the storage this morning to finish the clean up/prep on the firewall hoping to get it in primer by the end of the day. I had had my hands on most of it already. There was a small untouched section under the HVAC case with a good bit of diesel goo on the bracket where the passenger inner fender attaches. I got that area cleaned up. I went over the entire firewall with a red Scotch bright and then wiped the whole thing down with laquer thinner on a micro-fiber cloth. I did some taping and I was ready.....

20171126_122354.jpg

It took almost 2 hours to prime the firewall with a brush. I used the same Rustoleum Rusty Metal primer. It is very forgiving to dirt, covers well and should treat the rusty areas. Here is the payoff.....

20171126_141144.jpg

It is a major milestone for me mentally. The decrepit diesel firewall pad that was on there when I bought it was a major thorn in my side. Getting the firewall to this point has been a major effort.

I realize this is nowhere near as nice as many of you guys' cars, that have been blown apart and done right. I just don't have the wherewithal to do that with this car. Still I feel a lot better about this than just putting the engine in it the way it was. I should have stopped the deterioration with this. She'll never be outside as long as I own her and the underhood will look "good enough" for me.

I've got a few problem spots (rust blowouts) that I intend to treat with seam sealer, hopefully tomorrow night. Then it will be on to two coats of Rustoleum Satin Black. That's it for now guys. Thanks for tuning in.

• Winner
Reactions: 7 users

Texas82GP

Just-a-worm
Apr 3, 2015
Spring, Texas
Home away from home....
20171126_152001.jpg

Reactions: 9 users
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor