Space City 1982 GP Build

Status
Not open for further replies.

Texas82GP

Just-a-worm
Apr 3, 2015
Spring, Texas
I think there's still a 4 door bonne at a local yard. I already sold the gauges and bezel but if you need weird stuff like clips or fasteners I can see what I can do.
Thank you. For now, I think I'm good.

Reactions: 3 users

Texas82GP

Just-a-worm
Apr 3, 2015
Spring, Texas
A bit more progress to report. Saturday, Sean and I went to the storage and pulled the headliner out of the GP. All that had it was the visors, the coat hooks and the dome light. We took it to the shop that recently redid the headliner on Sean's truck. About 30 minutes later, no more burgundy headliner. Now it's black and it's back in the car. While the headliner was out, Sean peeled the cardboard off the roof and put some Eastwood X-Mat in there for me. He did a nice job.....

01-09-21_09.jpg

01-09-21_11.jpg

It's kind of cheese-ball how the factory didn't put any paint or primer on the roof of these cars but I guess they weren't supposed to last this long anyway. The surface rust really looks worse in the pictures than it is. I didn't feel compelled at all to do anything about it. It will not deteriorate any worse than it is.

We got the headliner in there and hung on the side clips. Scott (Injectedcutty) had told me his car had three side clips. Mine only had two and judging but the undisturbed paint in the middle screw holes, it's only ever had two. The bases to to the rear coat hangers need painted and I couldn't come up with any SEM Landau Black locally so I'll take care of that next week. My coat hooks are pitted and look like crap so I bought some new ones from Mike's Montes. I don't really think $35 is reasonable for a pair of coat hooks but it's the details that count and I want to move forward so I bought them. We got the sunvisor bases installed once we figured out the proper orientation. They look much nicer than my originals. I couldn't for the life of me get my new sun visors stabbed onto them though. I was getting pretty frustrated, it was 4 PM and my nephew, who was at the storage with us all afternoon was over it at that point (he's autistic) so we rolled up the shop and that's where we left off. Some pics....

Burgundy :sick:........

01-09-21_08.jpg

Black, beautiful and in.....

01-09-21_15.jpg

I think at this point we're just going to keep moving forward with putting the interior back together, especially while the weather is cool. When it gets hot, we'll probably pull off and get under the car. I guess that's it for now friends. Thanks for looking in.

Reactions: 20 users

Ribbedroof

Comic Book Super Hero
Supporting Member
Jan 4, 2009
Wellston, OK
Left the hooks out of my coupe, because who ever uses them?

• Agree
Reactions: 6 users

Turbo Zach

Comic Book Super Hero
Sep 8, 2015
Glad to see you working on the car again. What is left on the drive line to do? I fully understand the Autism deal. Although Lindsey is six and I only can guess how she will act later in life.

Reactions: 4 users

Texas82GP

Just-a-worm
Apr 3, 2015
Spring, Texas
Left the hooks out of my coupe, because who ever uses them?
Not a bad idea. Wish I would have thought of it. When the guy redid my headliner, he already had the holes trimmed when he brought it out to my truck.
Glad to see you working on the car again. What is left on the drive line to do? I fully understand the Autism deal. Although Lindsey is six and I only can guess how she will act later in life.
I have all new UMI stuff for the rear suspension. I have all the stuff to rebuild the rear drum brakes. The engine, transmission and driveshaft are in the car but nothing else is really hooked up. We all know that stuff is the fun fast part though. There will be a fair amount of under hood wiring to do. I think the big hurdles are getting the interior back together, replacing the body mount bushings, the front to rear brake line, and the fuel lines (if I decide to replace them).

Last edited:
Reactions: 7 users

Ribbedroof

Comic Book Super Hero
Supporting Member
Jan 4, 2009
Wellston, OK
Not a bad idea. Wish I would have thought of it. When the guy redid my headliner, he already had the holes trimmed when he brought it out to my truck.

Don't feel bad, the first one I had done, told the guy not to cut them out...he did. Did the last few myself, so only me to blame for any screwups.

A nice interior makes a car SOOOOOO much better to drive, IMO. Looks like yours is going to be very nice. In hindsight, I wish I had done black as well.

Reactions: 1 users

Texas82GP

Just-a-worm
Apr 3, 2015
Spring, Texas
Don't feel bad, the first one I had done, told the guy not to cut them out...he did. Did the last few myself, so only me to blame for any screwups.

A nice interior makes a car SOOOOOO much better to drive, IMO. Looks like yours is going to be very nice. In hindsight, I wish I had done black as well.
Thanks, I considered doing the headliner myself but having it done within about a half hour of us showing up at the place, the same day we took it out for $92 was hard to argue with. It came out of the car burgundy and went back in, black the same day. I also didn't have to learn how to do it by screwing it up the first time. That's incredibly fast for one of my projects!

Hopefully, a black interior, console, buckets, a black landau top, the ZQ8 wheels and the five speed will make the car a little less stodgy.

Reactions: 8 users

Texas82GP

Just-a-worm
Apr 3, 2015
Spring, Texas
I'm the toolbag that uses his hooks for dry cleaning......
Well, I did before C19 and I started working from home, anyway.
Come to think of it, I use them too when I'm traveling, to hang up a button down shirt or two.

Reactions: 2 users

JAMCAR223

Royal Smart Person
Jun 6, 2014
Houston, TX.
Hopefully, a black interior, console, buckets, a black landau top, the ZQ8 wheels and the five speed will make the car a little less stodgy.
YES !!

• Agree
Reactions: 2 users
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor