Space City 1982 GP Build

Status
Not open for further replies.

Longroof79

Rocket Powered Basset Hound
Oct 14, 2008
Gainesville, Fl
Jared,
It's coming together nicely. You do nice work...:) I haven't had a chance to go through your whole build thread before....very impressive.

Reactions: 1 user

kalidromos13

Master Mechanic
Oct 12, 2016
Palmdale, CA
I love the way this is coming out, very nice touch with the rustoleum paint job on the frame! Definitely a motivation to take it to the next level when i rebuild my front end in the near future. Now i want a Grand Prix...haha

Texas82GP

Just-a-worm
Apr 3, 2015
Spring, Texas
Finally had a chance to check out the build! Great progress!! Can't wait to see some side shots with the new wheels!
Thanks. She's been in the storage since October of 2014. I'm hoping to get her out next year. Whenever I do, I'll definitely snap some pics. To be perfectly honest, I'm second guessing the choice of wheels. I have a little rubbing behind the passenger wheel and tire size and selection is pretty limited on 16's. I won't make that decision until after its running again though.

Love the direction you are going on this. I'm taking notes.
Thanks I appreciate that. I'm just trying to build a reliable cruiser that performs a little better than stock without going too far and turning it into a brute.

Jared,
It's coming together nicely. You do nice work...:) I haven't had a chance to go through your whole build thread before....very impressive.
Thanks Jack. I really appreciate how you always have something nice to say. I am a bit of a perfectionist. It's a two edged sword. On one hand I'm hard to satisfy so I work hard at attention to detail so I hopefully won't be disappointed when I'm finished. On the other, I have a hard time not turning everything into a restoration project. I'm trying to strike a balance on this car, but I'm already in a lot deeper than I ever intended to be. I have a ton of nice parts squirreled away for this car. I'm looking forward to putting it back together.

I love the way this is coming out, very nice touch with the rustoleum paint job on the frame! Definitely a motivation to take it to the next level when i rebuild my front end in the near future. Now i want a Grand Prix...haha
Thanks. I appreciate the kind words. It's funny. I don't remember the Grand Prix's from when they were new. I really wanted an 83 Hurst Olds when I bought my car but I didn't want a 307 or an automatic and couldn't bring myself to cut up a survivor that was 1 of 3000. When I laid eyes on pictures of my car online, I knew I had to have it.

Reactions: 1 users

O. D. Showtime

Comic Book Super Hero
Feb 6, 2009
Regina Sask. Canada
Jared...I too just went through your build thread tonight....not sure how I missed it before now. Good looking Grand Prix, and I definitely like your attention to detail. I know you've had alot going on lately but looking forward to see you back at it.

• Agree
Reactions: 2 users

Texas82GP

Just-a-worm
Apr 3, 2015
Spring, Texas
I'm pleased to report a tiny amount of progress. Progress is progress though. I've been home convalescing from colon surgery for the past month. I'm hoping to go back to work next week, at least part time if my doctor will release me. Anyway, I'm just now feeling like myself again and feeling like doing something. Today I taped up my intake manifold and painted it. I'm happy with how it turned out.
20161130_195307.jpg

20161130_195415.jpg

• Winner
Reactions: 7 users

Injectedcutty

G body LS mafia
Nov 24, 2014
Louisville, KY
Geez Jared, you have some taping time there buddy! Your build is coming together and i can't wait to see it finished. I have been eyeballing the blazer swap for awhile now....just sucks i have brand new calipers, pads, and rotors on my cutlass. However, the local yard might possibly have a few good donors and they sell the spindle/hub/caliper combo for $43/side!!!!

Btw, heluva job on that intake....i honestly thought you had it coated until i read the post.

Reactions: 1 users

Texas82GP

Just-a-worm
Apr 3, 2015
Spring, Texas
I'll share my 'secret' with you guys on the taping. I used wide blue painters tape. I put the tape on where it overlapped the edge of the machined surface I was taping off. I then gently tapped on the 'sharp' edge around the machined surface with a small ball peen hammer. It takes a little time but it cuts through the tape. It's like creasing a piece of paper and then running down that crease with your finger nails. It works well. On the threaded holes, I just tore small pieces of tape and balled them up, adding more tape until it would fit in the threaded hole to my satisfaction. On the made in USA logo, I did it the old fashioned way with a sharp knife. I then wiped it down with lacquer thinner. Two coats of primer followed by two coats of paint. I'm using the Duplicolor Engine Enamel with ceramic. I really like the stuff. You just can't spray it on a high humidity day. It will blush like you wouldn't believe. Gloss Black will turn to grey. Ask me how I know.

Reactions: 3 users

Injectedcutty

G body LS mafia
Nov 24, 2014
Louisville, KY
Yeah the ball peen hammer trick is one i was taught years back....definitely makes it easier. Funny you mentioned the gloss black engine enamel turning gray....happened to me and i couldn't figure out why at first. Duh, jackass me, pouring rain and trying to spray ceramic paint.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor