Spark PLug Problems

Status
Not open for further replies.

harald

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Sep 3, 2008
So after I figured out the plugs were bad on the El Camino, and finally got it started,it ran for a bit.Drove it down the road and it seemed to be missing or something already. Now the new plugs seem to be no good already,tried one ,no spark,tried one from something else and it has a spark. How can the plugs go bad that fast,unless they were no good to start with.Are AC delco plugs good enough with the higher voltage coils or do you need better plugs. The car ran and started OK when I bought it,and it was just sitting outside for quite awhile.

megaladon6

Comic Book Super Hero
May 29, 2006
Danbury, CT
what is the number on the plu? IIRC it should start with an R for resistor. i don't remember what difference it makes, other than EMI reduction.
can you give us full details on the year, model, engine mods etc?

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
If the car was sitting around for a while and nothing was done to protect the engine then the oil rings may be frozen and the oil is fouling the plugs. A little info on what the plugs looked like when you removed them would help.

harald

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Sep 3, 2008
i think they are r44 heavy duty ac delco truck. the engine is fairly stock 350 with summit coil and module and the summit street/strip wires.

harald

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Sep 3, 2008
The old plugs that were in it looked clean and in good shape,thats why I never replaced them until i figured out they were not firing. The new plugs look good and tonight when I checked for spark they were dry,no flooding,so they should have worked but didn't. Once I saw a tiny spark,but it went from the side of the electrode to the body or threaded part of the plug, not to the end. The other plug i tried on the same wire( from my sons dirt bike) fired normal.

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
The most common plug for a 350 is an r45ts. If your running r44 it's a cooler plug which if anything would only affect the performance. I have never seen a plug damaged by the power put out by an HEI system. The only thing I can think of is if your running a lean mixture your combustion chamber is creating excessive heat that is damaging your plugs....or check the plugs and see if they were made in China...

megaladon6

Comic Book Super Hero
May 29, 2006
Danbury, CT
x2
but honestly i've seen OLD burnt out melted plugs still produce spark.
the only thing i can think of to try is the ignition module. maybe it's firing weird, causing the plugs to get fried.

megaladon6

Comic Book Super Hero
May 29, 2006
Danbury, CT
you haven't played with the coil have you? or the wiring? i have some stupid idea rattling around the back of my head about the spark going backwards. i know ford used a system where the spark enrgy went from one plug through a 2nd plug so it is possible.

harald

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Sep 3, 2008
When i first got the engine started with the new plugs I had put all the old parts back on it,cap,coil,module etc. after it was running and i drove it I changed it back over to the summit stuff. I started Up and ran ok. Then next day it wouldn,t start again. The summit stuff ran great on my old truck that i tried it on,only the module I did not use on it. I drove it several times with no problems.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor