Speakers?

Status
Not open for further replies.

averagewhiteboy

Master Mechanic
Jun 7, 2006
Pittsburgh, PA
Hey guys.

For my GP, I installed a few year old Alpine CD player last summer. But after I get it inspected here soon, I'm doing speakers to match, since my rear factory ones are blown. I was looking into the Infinity Reference 3.5's up front (about 40 shipped), and the Kenwood 4x10's in the back (about 60 shipped). Anyone have either of these? For the 4x10's, there's not alot to choose, but for the fronts, I've always loved Infinity. Any input on either of these in your G body?

Thanks!!!!

jerrycad472

Master Mechanic
Nov 11, 2006
Detroit, MI
I have Infinitys in the front of my Monte Carlo. They work pretty well. If I remember it was a tight sqeeze to get them in because of the proximity to the windshild. I can't remembe what brand my 4x10s were they might have been Kenwood, I know I ordered them through Crutchfields. I see now there are adapters available so you can mount 6x9's in the rear. I think I may go that route when I put my car back together. I have basically the same stereo and amp combo in my Camaro, but with 6x9s and it sounds so much better than the 4x10's in the Monte. The surface area on te 6x9s is 35% larger.

GP403

Administrator
Site Admin
Feb 25, 2005
Rolla, MO
Not to hijack the thread or anything :D just curious... Does the Monte/Malibu dash have the little popouts over the front speakers like the Cutlass dash? The GP dash I know does *not* so you have to basically drop the whole thing down to get back in there. A PITA.

srercrcr

G-Body Guru
Jun 19, 2006
San Antonio, Texas
If "dyeing" the dash is on the list of projects, you could redo the speakers then, when you pull the dash.
I'll be replacing my cracked dash with a pristine one (got it) one of these years, and plan on doing the speakers then.

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
I have 6" Infiniti Kappa component speakers up front. I molded the 6" speaker to the bottom of the lower door panel using the aftermarket kick panel for a mustang...I put the tweeter where the 3.5" factory speaker was in the dash and put my crossers in the center compartment in the dash where the stock center speaker would go. I put the same speakers in back using the pod just above the armrest by the back seat and the tweeters up in the rear deck. I left the speakers holes open on the rear deck so the sub in the trunk has a nice sound to it...it was a bit of work but well worth it...

averagewhiteboy

Master Mechanic
Jun 7, 2006
Pittsburgh, PA
In my old Cadillac, it was a 2 piece dash, so it wasn't too bad, but I do believe you have to pull the whole thing to do the fronts. Shitty. lol.

And for the dash dying, I wasn't planning on it, at least yet. I actually like my green, and the dash is in very good condition. No sun fading, bending, or cracks! I got lucky!

:D

jerrycad472

Master Mechanic
Nov 11, 2006
Detroit, MI
GP403. yes the Regal and Montes have the removable speaker grills on top of the dash that allow you to replace the speakers from up top. Problem is the clearance is so tight on the windshield that the bigger magnets on the aftermarket speakers are hard to get in. I thought I was going break my windshield when I forced them in.

Those Q-logic units look really cool. Is the quality decent?

sui_winbolo

Greasemonkey
Dec 14, 2006
North Dakota
I need to replace my speakers in my Grand Prix. They are bad quality. >_<

Though I think I'll just disconnect the 3.5" and get kick panels. I don't want take apart my whole dash. :(

averagewhiteboy

Master Mechanic
Jun 7, 2006
Pittsburgh, PA
So to remove the dash speaker grill, do you just pull up on it until it comes off? lol. How about replacing the rears? I was gonna take it to a shop, but if I can do it without too much difficulty, screw it. lol. Any site with a how-to?

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor