Speakers?

Status
Not open for further replies.

pose_442

Greasemonkey
Feb 12, 2007
If it's anything like a Cutlass dash, a standard screwdriver prying the 4 corners will work nicely. I've found that a Phillips bit from an All-in-One screwdriver (type with the short bits) is helpful.

Use the appropriate bit along with a wrench or often fingers to loosen the screws. Pull the speaker out, install the new unit and pop the cover back on.

Note that a tweeter may put pressure on the grille may cause a hairline crack in the grille.

The rears should be just as easy. The factory 4x10's were held in by nothing more than thick coat hanger wire. There should be a side where the wire is rounded and stuck in a single "U"-tab. Pop that loose, and the speaker should swing right out.

There are 4x10 to 6x9 adapters all over ebay and maybe some stereo shops (Not much demand nowadays). The adapters are simple bolt together and put in with new wires that usually come with the kit. If not, make some from coat hangers. The completed wedges will fit only one way.

Tip: When installing, be sure to place tweeters on the outermost sides for better imaging.

I hope this was helpful.

averagewhiteboy

Master Mechanic
Jun 7, 2006
Pittsburgh, PA
Very! But do the rears bolt in from the inside of the cabin, or from the trunk? As in, do the come out, or fall through? And for the 6x9 adaptors, do I have to cut or modify anything? I'm not a real big fan of doing all that..

pose_442

Greasemonkey
Feb 12, 2007
That's the best part. The wire pieces hold the speakers into place. No bolts or screws. The speakers are held onto the underside of the rear shelf. All you do is access them from the trunk.

One thing I've done is use silicone to seal the speaker to the wedge. Helps eliminate rattles. On the speakers, be careful of the magent size since larger ones will interfere with the torsion bars in some models.

For a really good pic of these adapters, go to ebay and type in Item number: 140109975218

Good Luck

averagewhiteboy

Master Mechanic
Jun 7, 2006
Pittsburgh, PA
Are the 4x10 to 6x9 adaptors super easy to do? I kinda disregarded them at first, but I saw that you get them for free when you buy speakers through Crutchfield for my GP. lol. I was looking at 3.5's and they said those adaptors were included. haha. Anyone use them or have any experience with them? Especially the Crutchfield eletric blue ones... haha!

pose_442

Greasemonkey
Feb 12, 2007
Super easy. The adapters bolt to the speakers and you put the assembly in place with the new wire retainers. 5-10 minute job.

shortydoowop138

Greasemonkey
Feb 15, 2007
Palm Springs, CA
I have 3.5's and the q-logic kick panels in my brother's SS.. Puts out loud/clear sound in the front of the cabin.. I also have aftermarket 4x10's in the rear dash.. The 6x9 adapters wouldn't work without mod'ing my tension bars.. If you're not looking to do anything crazy with your sound system then you can leave the rear deck speakers in place and still run a sub..

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
^^ how far do those kick panels stick out and can a regular 6" speaker fit..I'm thinking of the depth of the speaker since there is not any room behind a stock kick panel..

Sep 1, 2006
Tampa Bay Area
One interesting thing I found was a mid 80's Buick Regal with factory door speakers! They have small grilles over them and a kickout to make them fit. I pulled the whole system consisting of 2 woofers in the doors and 2 tweeters in the dash. I plan on using them on my Cutlass when it goes back together in the near future-but with better speakers than the 20+ year old stockers the setup came with. I just need to get them reupholstered in blue to match my interior.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor