Speakers?

Status
Not open for further replies.

averagewhiteboy

Master Mechanic
Jun 7, 2006
Pittsburgh, PA
Hey guys.

Awhile back, I replaced my terrible factory radio with a slightly older Alpine CD player that I got from a friend for a real good deal. I was using it with that and all 4 factory speakers for awhile. keep in mind, the back 2 pop pretty good. So in other words, it sounded like *ss.

Well, for the cruise season next year, I intend to change that. Am I correct in saying the G body (specifically mine) has 3 1/2s up front and 4x10s in the back? That's what I'm seeing online.

Basically, I saw these on eBay. I believe Audiobahn is pretty good stuff, and these prices seem pretty reasonable. Does this sound like a solid set-up to go for? Everything with shipping for like 80 bucks.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayI ... :IT&ih=004

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayI ... :IT&ih=005

Chevyman85

G-Body Guru
Oct 25, 2006
Bonney Lake, WA
I know that on my Elco the front speakers are 3". I dont know about the rears but I ran into some problems swaping out the front set on my car. Double check your measurments. You dont have a lot of room to fit them in there so dont get any that are too deep, or with a huge magnet. I got a set of Pioneer 3" 60Watt speakers for $25 and they work great. Hook them up to the deck so you dont run too much power to them. It looks like your on the right track.

averagewhiteboy

Master Mechanic
Jun 7, 2006
Pittsburgh, PA
Yeah, because I went one to Crutchfield to put in the car to see what it says and it gave me those sizes. But it also gave me very few options. All of which were pretty costly. I wasn't a big fan. Should i just wait until Circuit City or someone has a free installation day then just let them worry about getting them in? lol..

chevy94ss

Apprentice
May 23, 2006
owasso, oklahoma
circuit city has some 6x9 adapters for the rear. they're made out of plastic and you bolt the 6x9's onto the bracket and then put the adapter in the rear deck as you would a set of 4x10's. at least thats what i did on my cutlass.

Chevyman85

G-Body Guru
Oct 25, 2006
Bonney Lake, WA
chevy94ss said:
circuit city has some 6x9 adapters for the rear. they're made out of plastic and you bolt the 6x9's onto the bracket and then put the adapter in the rear deck as you would a set of 4x10's. at least thats what i did on my cutlass.
That sounds like the way to go! 6"x9"s sound a lot better. How much are those adapters for the rear deck?

Cutlassjim

Apprentice
Aug 7, 2006
I also had the adapters for 6x9's with JL speakers runnning off of and old ADS powerplate 35x4 amp and they sounded GREAT. I actually had people ask me what kind of sub I had.

I think they went for about $20 plus $200 and change for the speakers but if your not going to get a sub the 6x9's are the way to go for a lot extra thump.

Furtrader

Master Mechanic
Jan 5, 2006
Ottawa,Ontario,Canada
Front in dash for a G body GP are 3 1/2" and rear are 4x10"
I have Audiobahn in all 4 corners.I am NOT happy with them.I would advise AGAINST purchasing Audiobahn speakers.I find them to be fragile and not that much better than the factory speakers(imho).

Chevyman85

G-Body Guru
Oct 25, 2006
Bonney Lake, WA
Cutlassjim said:
I also had the adapters for 6x9's with JL speakers runnning off of and old ADS powerplate 35x4 amp and they sounded GREAT. I actually had people ask me what kind of sub I had.

I think they went for about $20 plus $200 and change for the speakers but if your not going to get a sub the 6x9's are the way to go for a lot extra thump.
Awesome! Yeah Co-axle 6x9's will hit hard! I put a set in my Elco and it was money well spent

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
I have 4- 6" Infiniti Kappa component speakers in GP ...I cut the sheet metal in the pod just above the small arm rest on each side of the back seat with the tweeters in the rear deck...for the front I used aftermarket kick panels made for a mustang that are formed to install a 6" speaker and a tweeter..I cut the panel and molded the form for the 6" speaker at the bottom of the front door panel and blended in and mounted the tweeters in the top of the dash...with the 4x10 grill and no speakers the 12' sub sounds alot better then with speakers there to block the sound...G bodies were not made for a sound system so I figured I'd have to work around it....

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor