Speakers?

Status
Not open for further replies.

bananaMC

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Sep 1, 2006
Tacoma, Washington
what is in the way on the front speakers? I have orion 3" 2-ways but they have a huge magnet so I am worried about the hole not being deep enough. I really want to use them and will modify the dash if I have to, to make them work.

Cutlassjim

Apprentice
Aug 7, 2006
There is plenty of depth in the dash to fit any speaker. Also a very good idea is to put a cap(acitor) in series with the front speakers to filter out low frequencies. That was you can crank the thing up and they won't distort by trying to play anything too much for them.

chevy94ss

Apprentice
May 23, 2006
owasso, oklahoma
There is plenty of depth in the dash to fit any speaker. Also a very good idea is to put a cap(acitor) in series with the front speakers to filter out low frequencies. That was you can crank the thing up and they won't distort by trying to play anything too much for them.

you mean a high pass crossover? im not big on car audio but arent caps to help w/ power loss or power surges?

Chevyman85

G-Body Guru
Oct 25, 2006
Bonney Lake, WA
Yeah, you'll want to install a crossover to keep it from hitting the lows

averagewhiteboy

Master Mechanic
Jun 7, 2006
Pittsburgh, PA
What's up with those 6x9 adaptors for the rears? I'd love to rock 6x9's in the back. Since I won't be running a sub, I think it'd be better wit hthe rear 6x9 being beefier...

Where do you get them? Any more modification nescessary other than just putting them in? I've never done something with modifying the speaker sizes...

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
I would suggest that you go to a car stereo shop (not future shop or a large store) and ask them if you can order a set of adapters. I don't think they have been available for years but they might know someone with a set hanging around. I used adapters years ago and got rid of them because the sound quality of the 6x9's was not that good when mounted on the adapters. The adapters are mounted with the same wire clips that the original speakers are installed with so you can expect the speaker/adapter rattling with all the extra weight when you give it some volume.

averagewhiteboy

Master Mechanic
Jun 7, 2006
Pittsburgh, PA
I found these guys on Crutchfield. Is this all I'd need? So the quality isn't as good? The only reason I was looking into 6x9's is becasue I'm not running a sub, so I wanted to get the most low I could, and obviously the 6x9's would help out a lot more than 4x10's for that.

http://www.crutchfield.com/S-3AIhigN7CK ... lay=XL#Tab

Also, for the fronts, on Sound-Domain, I found all sorts of brands. Alot of them are on sale. Anything from Clarion and Infinity to Pioneer and Rockford. I know that Clarion and Infinity are good high-end brands, but Pioneer and Rockford makes good quality stuff as well. what should I go for? I had Sony 4's in the front of my Cadillac and they even sounded really good...

Cutlassjim

Apprentice
Aug 7, 2006
Those look just like the adapters I had but mine were yellow. One thing I did to help seal up the top of the adapter to the bottom of the rear deck was to put a ring of foam around the perimeter of the adapter. Works tit.

I had my speakers in for 3 or 4 years and never had any type of sagging or rattling problems.

And it's all personal preference and budget but I'm not one to half *ss things so I would recommend maybe a little higher end speaker so that your really happy with the results for a long time. I tend to stay away from "house" name speakers. Some of my favorite names for co-ax speakers are JL Audio, MB Quart, I'm a HUGE Eclipse fan, and if your feeling rich Focal's are VERY nice.

I would look between spending $200ish on the 6X9's and around $80 - $100 on the 3.5's. I know it's hard to justify when you can get both set's for under $100 at your local Worst Buy but I've never been unsatisfied when buying quality anything.

Good luck with your purchases.

averagewhiteboy

Master Mechanic
Jun 7, 2006
Pittsburgh, PA
Cutlassjim said:
Those look just like the adapters I had but mine were yellow. One thing I did to help seal up the top of the adapter to the bottom of the rear deck was to put a ring of foam around the perimeter of the adapter. Works tit.

I had my speakers in for 3 or 4 years and never had any type of sagging or rattling problems.

And it's all personal preference and budget but I'm not one to half *ss things so I would recommend maybe a little higher end speaker so that your really happy with the results for a long time. I tend to stay away from "house" name speakers. Some of my favorite names for co-ax speakers are JL Audio, MB Quart, I'm a HUGE Eclipse fan, and if your feeling rich Focal's are VERY nice.

I would look between spending $200ish on the 6X9's and around $80 - $100 on the 3.5's. I know it's hard to justify when you can get both set's for under $100 at your local Worst Buy but I've never been unsatisfied when buying quality anything.

Good luck with your purchases.

See, I certainly understand what you mean in terms of not half-assing. However, this car will be driven very little, and the only time the stereo will be used is when cruising and at the drive-in. That's all. I mean, my rears are blown right now. So you better believe that they were annoying at the drive in. Plus, I have my Alpine unit with stock, blown 80's GM speakers so they sound like total *ss already. I really like Infinity stuff. Would that be a thought? I had their Perfect 10 subs in my Cadillac and in my cobalt for awhile. They were NICE!

Also, has anyone used a Bazooka tube? My trunk is barren. No trunk mat, no side anything, nothing. I don't want to risk putting subs and them get damaged. I figured I could slip a Bazooka right on the top part of the trunk, fasten it down, and it suffice pretty well. Any input?

Thanks a ton so far guys!

:D

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor