Spraying penetrate on body mount bolts

Status
Not open for further replies.

1983calais

Master Mechanic
Feb 26, 2015
Tiffin, OH
I’m wanting to do this to my Monte Carlo and I am afraid they are going to break off. I was planning on spraying penetrating on them. Maybe I will put it on the lift and spray every day for a week and see what happens. I hope I don’t get in the same boat 565 was in with his regal. I feel for you man!

565bbchevy

Geezer
Aug 8, 2011
Michigan
I hope I don’t get in the same boat 565 was in with his regal. I feel for you man!
I was fully prepared for what might have to be done and my plasma cutter comes in real handy for this stuff, when to comes to body mounts plan for the worse and hope for the best.

Reactions: 3 users

timo22

G-Body Guru
Sep 10, 2012
St. Louis,Mo
On my Bonneville, I drilled a small hole in my trunk where my four rear mounts were. Was able to squirt PB with the straw, directly on the cage nut and bolt. I was able to get 3 out of the four out without breaking them. Just like stated above, the bolts rust in the middle where the rubber is. But if you can get something on the bolt and cage nut, it will increase your odds of getting the bolt out in one piece.

Reactions: 7 users

CDUNIGAN1981

Master Mechanic
Mar 15, 2015
On my Bonneville, I drilled a small hole in my trunk where my four rear mounts were. Was able to squirt PB with the straw, directly on the cage nut and bolt. I was able to get 3 out of the four out without breaking them. Just like stated above, the bolts rust in the middle where the rubber is. But if you can get something on the bolt and cage nut, it will increase your odds of getting the bolt out in one piece.
Oh, okay. I get what he tried to explain above. Its not about friction in the middle of the bolt, it's about the bolt rusting itself in half bc the rubber mount is so bad moisture had its way.

I guess I'm still confused about how the penetrate can prevent a mishap or make the removal of the bolt easier if the penetrates target is not the caged nut or bolt thread.

565bbchevy

Geezer
Aug 8, 2011
Michigan
1581905158056.png

• Wow
  • Agree

timo22

G-Body Guru
Sep 10, 2012
St. Louis,Mo
I guess I didn’t explain that very well. The reason the bolt breaks is because the bolt threads are rusted to the cage nut. If you can get PB directly on this area, it will free the bolt from the nut. Obviously , since most bolts look in similar condition as the pic, it is possible to back a rusty bolt out. And when I did mine, I drilled an 1/8” hole over each mount pad in my trunk. I was able to soak it for a couple days. Even a couple of bolts looked similar to the pic, I got them out.

• Informative
Reactions: 6 users

1983calais

Master Mechanic
Feb 26, 2015
Tiffin, OH
I think I may try the timo trick. Break the drill out. I haven’t looked at the mounts yet but I’m assuming you can’t get to the threads any other way?

Nov 4, 2012
All 4 of my trunk bolts had broken cage nuts and I snapped one of the ones in the middle under the driver's door. The rest came out okay. My car has been in Pittsburgh its whole life as far as I know.

Reactions: 1 users

RabbitHoleSS

G-Body Guru
Dec 8, 2019
Indianapolis
This was my biggest issue too. I lubed tgem for a solid month before i tried loosening them.Either the bracket that stops the cage nut snapped or the whole bottom of the body mount came off. My car has lived its life in the north though. I will say I only snapped 1 bolt. Pass #6 so if you lube it good and the body mount itself isnt rusted you should be good.

Reactions: 1 user
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor