Spraying penetrate on body mount bolts

Status
Not open for further replies.

Old ElCo Dude

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Feb 20, 2020
That is what I couldn't practically understand. How is spraying the head of a 3" bolt that has a shaft encased in rubber going to help in removing it when the penetrate is going to need to work against gravity through the rubber encasing into a fully encased nut and to the threads of the bolt?

It seemed like a waste of two or three $4 cans of PB.

With that said, I like the idea of cutting above and welding it back. That sounds like a plan of attack. I also like this alternative to cage nuts.

View attachment 137266
The only problem with the above method (just a bolt with a regular nut) is if you ever did have to remove a body mount the nut will just spin and then you have to cut open from above again
With the nuts just there and the metal just cut away exposing them there is no way to hide those bolts and nothing to keep someone from cutting themselves on it.But all that safety crap aside if you weld a 1 inch long strap to the nut that will jam it against the frame to tighten it and keep it from spinning when you go to remove it.(just not those self locking bolts with the plastic inside)
Also you can make your own cage for the new nuts by bending some thick sheetmetal into a square and welding it in place (with the new nut captured inside) above the body bushing area exactly where the old one was.

• Informative
Reactions: 1 user

CDUNIGAN1981

Master Mechanic
Mar 15, 2015
With the nuts just there and the metal just cut away exposing them there is no way to hide those bolts and nothing to keep someone from cutting themselves on it.But all that safety crap aside if you weld a 1 inch long strap to the nut that will jam it against the frame to tighten it and keep it from spinning when you go to remove it.(just not those self locking bolts with the plastic inside)
Also you can make your own cage for the new nuts by bending some thick sheetmetal into a square and welding it in place (with the new nut captured inside) above the body bushing area exactly where the old one was.
Not something I initially considered.
Good heads up and observation!

Reactions: 1 user

Flyers9928

G-Body Guru
Jul 30, 2014
South Central Pa
I used a new product from Sea Foam called deep creep. I had been spraying
once a week for the past 3 months. I already have 3 that broke off on their own ( 2 in the truck on passenger side, and 1 behind the wheel on drivers. I actually got the rest to break loose by hand. Not ready to change them yet, but I pulled each bolt out and used anti-seize on the treads and tightened them back up a little. After I get the frame welded up in the back, body mounts are next.

Reactions: 2 users

1983calais

Master Mechanic
Feb 26, 2015
Tiffin, OH
I got all of mine changed out since I last posted in this thread. I had to do the timo22 trick and drilled an 1/8” hole in my trunk floor for the back 2. Drilled right above the nut and sprayed fluid Film ( aerosol version) with the straw in the hole. 2 days later I got back to them and they came right out.

Reactions: 3 users

Pc3

Master Mechanic
Nov 17, 2019
I used a new product from Sea Foam called deep creep. I had been spraying
once a week for the past 3 months. I already have 3 that broke off on their own ( 2 in the truck on passenger side, and 1 behind the wheel on drivers. I actually got the rest to break loose by hand. Not ready to change them yet, but I pulled each bolt out and used anti-seize on the treads and tightened them back up a little. After I get the frame welded up in the back, body mounts are next.
Are you pulling the chassis off the frame?

Pc3

Master Mechanic
Nov 17, 2019
I got all of mine changed out since I last posted in this thread. I had to do the timo22 trick and drilled an 1/8” hole in my trunk floor for the back 2. Drilled right above the nut and sprayed fluid Film ( aerosol version) with the straw in the hole. 2 days later I got back to them and they came right out.
Wow nice for you. I need to replace the rear horns. I am hoping I can get this done by just freeing up the 3 Rear bushing on each side. What you think?

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor