Square body crew

Status
Not open for further replies.

Clutch

Geezer
Apr 7, 2017
Brick NJ
The time has come for me to repair and install my 454 Eric needs the loaner 454 back so I'm looking for a reasonably cheap fix for mine to get it back on the run stand. As you all know I'm not real happy with what happened with my comp cam and lifters. This time I'm thinking about using a summit racing cam And lifters because it's only like $120 but I'm loosing my mind trying to figure out what springs to go with and maybe that's not even the cam I should use? So let me ask you guys what would you go with in a hydraulic flat topic cam and lifters? The build is all here in the thread. In short it's a rotating assembly from a 90 V3500 stock rods and stock dish pistons the heads however are closed chamber large oval port 1965-66? 396-427 to up the compression and the intake manifold is a performer. The truck dose have long tube headers full dual exhaust th400 stock converter and 4;10 gears. I know little to nothing about what the compression ratio actually is or about spring pockets stuff like that. So I'm asking you guy's what would you go with? And what springs would you use for it? Bear in mind I cannot afford to do a retrofit roller.

Reactions: 1 users

DRIVEN

Geezer
Apr 25, 2009
*CENSORED*
I would choose whatever makes max torque at cruise rpm.

Reactions: 4 users

Supercharged111

Comic Book Super Hero
Oct 25, 2019
Colorado Springs, CO
I had a Clevite cam in a 289 eons ago. It was the exact same grind as the Edelbrock Performer cam. That one never gave me any trouble and thinking back I never even properly broke in the cam. I've heard a lot of hit and miss about Comp. Personally, I'd be leery of anything short of a billet core, bit that's roller territory and my Clevite core probably didn't come from China.

Clutch

Geezer
Apr 7, 2017
Brick NJ
I had a Clevite cam in a 289 eons ago. It was the exact same grind as the Edelbrock Performer cam. That one never gave me any trouble and thinking back I never even properly broke in the cam. I've heard a lot of hit and miss about Comp. Personally, I'd be leery of anything short of a billet core, bit that's roller territory and my Clevite core probably didn't come from China.
I think they all come from China now

• Agree
Reactions: 1 user

Texas82GP

Just-a-worm
Apr 3, 2015
Spring, Texas
I think they all come from China now
Isn't Edelbrock still USA? What about a Performer? Don't they call that an "RV" cam since it makes torque? Torque is what you need for that goliath.

Reactions: 2 users

Supercharged111

Comic Book Super Hero
Oct 25, 2019
Colorado Springs, CO
Isn't Edelbrock still USA? What about a Performer? Don't they call that an "RV" cam since it makes torque? Torque is what you need for that goliath.

Edelbrock is still a US company, yes. Problem is the cores all US companies now grind off of come from China.

• Agree
  • Sad

Texas82GP

Just-a-worm
Apr 3, 2015
Spring, Texas
Edelbrock is still a US company, yes. Problem is the cores all US companies now grind off of come from China.
I think I would look for a new old stock cam then.

Clutch

Geezer
Apr 7, 2017
Brick NJ
I may go with a lunati voodoo cam I don't know yet. I'm thinking something in the 500-550 lift range with a short duration the linotti closes the valve slower for less wear and longevity. I think the blanks are just a roll of the dice at this point. Lunati and iski still advertise quality control but do they actually test every blank? I still like the comp exe I had but I'm not putting my faith in comp again

Supercharged111

Comic Book Super Hero
Oct 25, 2019
Colorado Springs, CO
I may go with a lunati voodoo cam I don't know yet. I'm thinking something in the 500-550 lift range with a short duration the linotti closes the valve slower for less wear and longevity. I think the blanks are just a roll of the dice at this point. Lunati and iski still advertise quality control but do they actually test every blank? I still like the comp exe I had but I'm not putting my faith in comp again

What kind of duration are you looking at? I put a 212/218 roller cam in my dually and had to have it custom cut to get lift in the .520" range. That much lift with such short duration is tough to find and is gonna be tougher with a flat tappet cam I suspect. I went through Schneider Cams and had a great experience. They split off of either Comp or Crower way back in the day and are a very legit operation.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor