Stainless Steel Radiator hoses

Status
Not open for further replies.

jimsmonte80

Apprentice
Aug 22, 2011
I have been looking and researching stainless steel radiator hoses for my 80 Monte with a 383 stroker motor. With so many different brands and manufactures out there, not sure what to pick. A few look very similar with large differences in price. My waterpump outlet is about 1 3/4", so that eliminates summitracing brand hoses that only go as high as 1 5/8. Others have different hose sleeve ends, which I would lean more towards polished aluminum ends, not plastic chrome plated. Most complaints I have read were the crappy hose clamps that would strip out, which I would happy using beefier clamps that I have in place of the supplied ones. So I am just trying to find the best SS hoses at a good price. Any recommendations? Has anyone been able to use a 48 inch stainless kit for both upper and lower hoses on their G-body vehicle?

Thanks in advance!

Injectedcutty

G body LS mafia
Nov 24, 2014
Louisville, KY
I have been looking and researching stainless steel radiator hoses for my 80 Monte with a 383 stroker motor. With so many different brands and manufactures out there, not sure what to pick. A few look very similar with large differences in price. My waterpump outlet is about 1 3/4", so that eliminates summitracing brand hoses that only go as high as 1 5/8. Others have different hose sleeve ends, which I would lean more towards polished aluminum ends, not plastic chrome plated. Most complaints I have read were the crappy hose clamps that would strip out, which I would happy using beefier clamps that I have in place of the supplied ones. So I am just trying to find the best SS hoses at a good price. Any recommendations? Has anyone been able to use a 48 inch stainless kit for both upper and lower hoses on their G-body vehicle?

Thanks in advance!
I got mine off ebay from skip white performance i believe.... $38 shipped for the 48" kit with polished ends! I love summit and have contacts there, but them as well as jegs have to markup the price to make their $$$. I have a 355sbc in my 87 cutlass and had about 8-10" of hose leftover. It came with all the sleeves and the worst was getting the sleeve onto the water pump...what a pita!!! I did have a clamp or 2 strip but i had better ones on standby just in case. I haven't had one leak and my bro ended up putting on his bbc camaro with no issues either!

Note: in the pics i used black anodized ends to match my theme.
20150315_171718.jpg
20150314_030853.jpg

565bbchevy

Geezer
Aug 8, 2011
Michigan
the worst was getting the sleeve onto the water pump...what a pita!!!
I would imagine any aftermarket hose in place of the factory lower hose would be a pain to install because of the short length and tight bend.

Injectedcutty

G body LS mafia
Nov 24, 2014
Louisville, KY
It definitely was....the instructions said use a liberal amount of wd-40...did that and it still sucked....but who said lookin good was easy lol!

565bbchevy

Geezer
Aug 8, 2011
Michigan
I have a braided upper hose to match all my braided hoses but I had to keep the rubber hose for the lower since I have an inline water pump in the middle of the lower hose which leaves each piece around 6" or so long.

Injectedcutty

G body LS mafia
Nov 24, 2014
Louisville, KY
I have a braided upper hose to match all my braided hoses but I had to keep the rubber hose for the lower since I have an inline water pump in the middle of the lower hose which leaves each piece around 6" or so long.
Yeah that woulda been fun making that lower hose for sure! Honestly, of all the braided lines i have built my power steering lines sucked the most dealing with the teflon liner and getting the fittings to seat properly without pushing the line out.

jimsmonte80

Apprentice
Aug 22, 2011
I got mine off ebay from skip white performance i believe.... $38 shipped for the 48" kit with polished ends! I love summit and have contacts there, but them as well as jegs have to markup the price to make their $$$. I have a 355sbc in my 87 cutlass and had about 8-10" of hose leftover. It came with all the sleeves and the worst was getting the sleeve onto the water pump...what a pita!!! I did have a clamp or 2 strip but i had better ones on standby just in case. I haven't had one leak and my bro ended up putting on his bbc camaro with no issues either!

Note: in the pics i used black anodized ends to match my theme.
View attachment 46464 View attachment 46465

Your setup looks badass, and the radiator hoses look awesome. I did see that ad on ebay and was sceptical because of the price being so much lower then anyone else. Were you able to get both upper and lower done with this kit? I totally appriciate you sharing and posting your setup and sharing your source. And I would have no issues using beefier clamps then the ones provided.

Injectedcutty

G body LS mafia
Nov 24, 2014
Louisville, KY
Your setup looks badass, and the radiator hoses look awesome. I did see that ad on ebay and was sceptical because of the price being so much lower then anyone else. Were you able to get both upper and lower done with this kit? I totally appriciate you sharing and posting your setup and sharing your source. And I would have no issues using beefier clamps then the ones provided.
I appreciate the compliments man, alot of design and hard work has went into it to suit my standards of setting myself apart from all the other g bodies in louisville! I actually had close to 10" leftover after doing both upper and lower hoses. My main advice would be to buy a bodysaw if you dont have one (harbor freight sells one for $18 that ive put through its paces) and some fine tooth blades made for stainless. Here is a pic of the final product....4 months later the old motor died blah sh*t happens!
20150531_145841.jpg

Oct 14, 2008
Melville,Saskatchewan
I bought the cheapest sets off EBay, still look great 10 years later. As said the clamps do strip out and the larger outlet is a problem. I had to buy an extra 2" to 1.5" adapter on my water pump and the polished sleeve wouldn't fit. It should fit a 1.75" to 1.5" adapter, which can also be bought separately. Make sure to not cut them too short and make sure the top hose is clear of the alternator. The torque of the motor had the alt fan hit and cut through the hose.

jimsmonte80

Apprentice
Aug 22, 2011
I appreciate the compliments man, alot of design and hard work has went into it to suit my standards of setting myself apart from all the other g bodies in louisville! I actually had close to 10" leftover after doing both upper and lower hoses. My main advice would be to buy a bodysaw if you dont have one (harbor freight sells one for $18 that ive put through its paces) and some fine tooth blades made for stainless. Here is a pic of the final product....4 months later the old motor died blah sh*t happens! View attachment 46478

I do have a large metal shop saw that seamed to work well for stainless steel braided hose, should make nice smooth clean cuts through the radiator hoses. Sorry to hear about your engine problem, I feel your pain. I have that same idea about setting my G-body apart from the rest. All Teflon lined stainless steel hoses. I am planning on keeping the A/C for that extra look. I ordered that kit off ebay soon as I seen your reply and pictures. Thinking about getting the heater hose kit as well.

Thanks again.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor