Standard clutch fan vs. electric fan

Status
Not open for further replies.

Longroof79

Rocket Powered Basset Hound
Oct 14, 2008
Gainesville, Fl
Thanks man, I appreciate the link and part # to the controller. It looks good, but I don't really care for the radiator fin type probe. I prefer it going to regular screw-in sending unit in the manifold. But that's just me.
Hayden does make good products.
I suppose it does work, regardless of what my views are.

crucial118

Royal Smart Person
Nov 15, 2008
MARYLAND, DMV
Yeah, I wasn't too keen on the probe either, but with the adjustable temp settings, you control what temp you want the fans to come on while watching your temp gauge. If the probes were from the factory at a set temp, then there might be a chance for a problem. My gauge sending unit is in the manifold, but the temp probes in the radiator. The fans come on at MY set temp(from the manifold reading).

Blake442

Geezer
Apr 24, 2007
Minneapolis
My '96 Caprice had dual fans... One ran during normal driving and the second came on with the a/c.
I replaced my stock 5-blade fan on my 442 with a 7-blade fan from a Monte SS and a new clutch. Works great.
Mechanical or electric, some ducting between the grill and radiator goes a long way.

Longroof79

Oct 14, 2008
Gainesville, Fl
crucial118 said:
Yeah, I wasn't too keen on the probe either, but with the adjustable temp settings, you control what temp you want the fans to come on while watching your temp gauge. If the probes were from the factory at a set temp, then there might be a chance for a problem. My gauge sending unit is in the manifold, but the temp probes in the radiator. The fans come on at MY set temp(from the manifold reading).

Thanks for all your input. I guess if the radiator probes didn't work, no one would be using them, and Hayden wouldn't bother making them. I guess as long as the water temp gauge is fairly accurate, it can be easily monitored.

Longroof79

Oct 14, 2008
Gainesville, Fl
Blake442 said:
My '96 Caprice had dual fans... One ran during normal driving and the second came on with the a/c.
I replaced my stock 5-blade fan on my 442 with a 7-blade fan from a Monte SS and a new clutch. Works great.
Mechanical or electric, some ducting between the grill and radiator goes a long way.

Thanks Blake,
I didn't realize that the Monte SS's had a 7 blade fan. Looks like I may have to score one. Could you tell me what the diameter is?
I may try the clutch fan out. I still have my electric fans in case I want to go in that direction.

Blake442

Geezer
Apr 24, 2007
Minneapolis
Longroof79 said:
Blake442 said:

Thanks Blake,
I didn't realize that the Monte SS's had a 7 blade fan. Looks like I may have to score one. Could you tell me what the diameter is?
I may try the clutch fan out. I still have my electric fans in case I want to go in that direction.
19"... It fits perfectly in the stock shroud.

Longroof79

Oct 14, 2008
Gainesville, Fl
Hey thanks Blake.
I may have to reconsider using the clutch fan. I noticed that my current 18" flex fan isn't centered in the fan shroud. The fan seems to fit closer to the bottom of the shroud, and more clearance on top.
I'm wondering if my motor mounts are sagging...or the rad support is too high. I may end up with the electric fans after all.

It's alittle too hot to replace the motor mounts now, and it's a pain in the *ss job. I'd have to wait till it get's cooler out.
I think it was this way even with the old radiator support. I just never noticed it before. :? :wtf:

Bonnewagon

Lost in the Labyrinth
Supporting Member
Sep 18, 2009
Queens, NY
Jack, easy way to test motor mounts-have someone start the car, put their foot on the brake pedal, put the trans in drive, rev the motor- all while you are watching the motor with the hood open from the side, NOT in front. If the motor tries to climb out of there, you know the mounts are shot. If OK then an easy way to raise the fan is to lower the trans mount. What kind are you using back there?

Longroof79

Oct 14, 2008
Gainesville, Fl
Thanks for the advice, Mark.
It has a standard rubber trans mount. How would I lower the trans mount? I don't recall shims being between the mount and the crossmember. I haven't looked at it since replacing it many moons ago.

BTW, is there an easy way to test a fan clutch? If it freewheeled when cold, would that indicate it being bad? Would it have more resistance spinning it if it's good?...or is the proper way to test it on the car with the engine running?

Bonnewagon

Lost in the Labyrinth
Supporting Member
Sep 18, 2009
Queens, NY
Jack, the standard rubber mount you can't do much with because the cross member pad is offset. If you used a generic GM transmission mount it wouldn't line up. I generally cut the pad off and relocate it so I can use the standard GM type mount, but poly, and it sits lower than the G-body mount. It comes with a shim, and 2 of them still leave my tail housing low. I thought you may have also relocated it, as that is standard procedure among my guys who are tired of the rubber stock mount ripping apart even with mild V-8's. I had heard a G-body poly mount was in the works, but I am unsure if it materialized. How about the cross member isolators at the frame rails? Too thick ones will raise the trans also. I use solid shims because the rubbers go bad and I can also raise the cross member that way. No vibration problems using solids. Maybe you could remove them and just bolt it up, seeing if that raises the fan enough. As for the clutch fan, get a piece of cardboard and slip it in front of the radiator while the motor runs. As the heat builds, you should hear and see the fan engaging. Remove the cardboard and it will cool down and freewheel. To really see it, paint a white stripe on a fan blade and use a timing light to illuminate it. You will see it speed up/slow down with the temperature changes.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor