Standard clutch fan vs. electric fan

Status
Not open for further replies.

Longroof79

Rocket Powered Basset Hound
Oct 14, 2008
Gainesville, Fl
Thanks Mark!
I don't recall if my crossmember has the rubber isolators. I'll have to get under there and take a look-see. Again, it's been many years since I had the crossmember off in order to cut a notch in it for dual exhaust.
Are you saying that the poly trans mount is lower, or thinner than the standard rubber mount...plus they come with shims?
Man, I've had my head in the sand.. :?

Thanks for sharing your method of testing the fan clutch. I know it would be in my best interest to purchase a new one.
The white stripe and timing light method is a keen idea.. :wink:

Bonnewagon

Lost in the Labyrinth
Supporting Member
Sep 18, 2009
Queens, NY
Jack, this is the one I mean. Way different from the G-body mount.
mD9H5CtVYjumJqCT0578swg_zps58e31b81.jpg
See?
ANI-2379_ml_zpse743d2c8.jpg
Maybe moving it over causes it to sit lower? I just know it did, on both my cars.

Blake442

Geezer
Apr 24, 2007
Minneapolis
The way I check fan clutches is to get the engine up to temp and with the engine OFF, try to spin the fan by hand.
It should have some good resistance to it. If it spins freely, the clutch is bad.

Wulff

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Jun 20, 2012
When I put in my 406 TPI I was more than happy to part with the old mechanical fan! I used a dual fan setup out of a Ford Explorer. One thing I do know is the electric fans are more AC friendly as they are made to come on as soon as the AC is switched on.
It's a matter of preference of course but the dual electric fans are in my opinion one of the best additions that you can make.

Longroof79

Oct 14, 2008
Gainesville, Fl
Mark,
Thank you buddy for pointing out the difference in the trans mounts, etc. I appreciate all your input, pictures, etc.
I'll take a look under there later and poke around.
BTW, I dig the pig.. :lol:

Blake,
Thank you as well, my friend. I appreciate all your input.

Mr, Wuff,
Thank you as well. I still may go either way on this.

Bonnewagon

Lost in the Labyrinth
Supporting Member
Sep 18, 2009
Queens, NY
Jack, here is the poly mount on the relocated tab. I cut it off and re-welded it several inches to port so it lined up with the trans like a normal GM car. Looking at it I don't see where moving it made it lower than normal although the cross member does go up and over to clear the catalytic converter. So all I can deduce is that it does bend upwards a bit or the normal mount is a bit shorter than the G-body mount. I never compared them side by side though. Or maybe my car just sits differently for some reason? The shims are aluminum plate I cut as the mount shim provided was not enough.(the oil is from my busted speedo cable housing, not the trans itself :oops: )
P9150037_zpsa3807fd8.jpg

Longroof79

Oct 14, 2008
Gainesville, Fl
Thanks for the pic, Mark.
I haven't had a chance to get under there and look. I might end up installing my electric fan. If I'm 100% pleased with the performance, I'll go back to a clutch fan. I guess it's good to have options.. :wink:

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
Longroof79 said:
Thanks for the pic, Mark.
I haven't had a chance to get under there and look. I might end up installing my electric fan. If I'm 100% pleased with the performance, I'll go back to a clutch fan. I guess it's good to have options.. :wink:

so if your 100% pleased with the electric fan you'll go back to the clutch fan?.... :shock:

Bonnewagon

Lost in the Labyrinth
Supporting Member
Sep 18, 2009
Queens, NY
I think he had a senior moment there Steve. I get them all the time! :rofl:

Longroof79

Oct 14, 2008
Gainesville, Fl
Thanks guys.
It figures...Steve would find my mistake. :rofl:
Yup! It was once of those darn senior moments. :? :oops: I forgot to slip the "NOT" in there. :) Getting old is a b*tch... :?
I'll grunt to that... :lol:

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor