Starter Acting Weird

Status
Not open for further replies.

Faulk21NG238

Apprentice
Jun 9, 2010
I just recently got my 80 Malibu running, but I am now having probelms with the starter. The car has a 383 stroker SBC with a 168 tooth flex plate and a mini starter to match. Most of the time the motor starts no problem. The issue I have is that sometimes the starter sounds like its grinding :? . It does not happen all of the time so I cannot really jack it up and look under it to see whats going on. Sounds just like a starter would sound if you had the motor started and turned the key again, but when it does it, the motor is not started yet. Any help is appreciated.

fatso86

Greasemonkey
Feb 14, 2011
you need to take it out and put some spacers in......you can get them cheap at local auto shop

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
it does not need shims if it's an intermittent problem...the starter is probably made in china and that's the problem.

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
it's very rare that shims are needed and if the old starter didn't need shims then neither does this one...does it only happen when the engine is hot?.

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
if it only happens when it's hot I'd be looking at the solenoid...I run headers so I installed a ford style solenoid to prevent any problems with the solenoid heating up

Faulk21NG238

Apprentice
Jun 9, 2010
I am runnung headers as well. I have a radiant heat wrap around it, maybe its still getting too hot. This may be a dumb question, but how do you wire that up?

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
it's not a dumb question....and it's easy to do plus with the remote solenoid you don't have a hot wire at the starter from the battery until you turn the key...

solenoid02.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor