Starter wires

Status
Not open for further replies.

80elky

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Jun 23, 2019
I was looking at the starter and noticed that there was three wires when I’m used to two. There’s the main battery cable then there’s a thin black one and a thin tan one. Which one is which?

pagrunt

Geezer
Sep 14, 2014
Elderton, Pa
I was looking at the starter and noticed that there was three wires when I’m used to two. There’s the main battery cable then there’s a thin black one and a thin tan one. Which one is which?

There should be the two fusible links on a shared ring terminal with one link with one 12 AWG red wire with the other link with either two 12 AG red wires (305) or just a single 12 AWG red wire (229, 231, 267) & then just a 12 AWG purple wire. There shouldn't be a thin black or tan wires on the starter.

mikester

Comic Book Super Hero
Mar 10, 2010
Small town NY
Mine had two red 12AWG wire with links going into a single ring terminal. One of them went to the OEM splice coming off the alternator and the other going to the bulkhead connector on the firewall. Then theres a single purple 12AWG that also goes to the bulkhead. That goes to the smaller post on the starter. The double wires go to the post with the battery cable.
Ive seen the fusible link wires fade to odd shades of red but never tan. Maybe the purple faded to a color that looks a little tan or brown ? Can you go deeper into the harness to see the actual colors ?

Attachments

• IMG_2024.JPG
    IMG_2024.JPG
    756.5 KB · Views: 268

fleming442

Captain Tenneal
Dec 26, 2013
Didn't take a picture before you took it apart? It's 2020, ya know...

Just put them back the way you found them. and, UNHOOK THE DAMN BATTERY! Otherwise, you'll be another d-bag with blown fusible links.

• Agree
Reactions: 3 users

80elky

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Jun 23, 2019
Didn't take a picture before you took it apart? It's 2020, ya know...

Just put them back the way you found them. and, UNHOOK THE DAMN BATTERY! Otherwise, you'll be another d-bag with blown fusible links.
I never actually took it apart, I was just wondering what the tan wire was going to, but when I followed it, it wasn’t even hooked up to anything.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor