Starting My Gbody LS Swap

Status
Not open for further replies.

LOS HINES

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Apr 7, 2020
Whats up everyone! I hope you all are staying safe. So.... I'm starting the rebuild of my LS swap. I found what I believe to be a LM7 5.3 out of a 2002 Silverado, Mileage is unknown, but I can tell you after breaking it down there is no way that this thing could have been getting the oil it needed. The motor was gunked up so bad it appear to save most of the internals. Pistons came out in one piece, Cam was toast and I'm not to certain about the Crank.

My plan is to take the Crank to a professional have it cleaned, inspected and polished up if possible. Once that is complete i'll take the block back to the shop to have it washed up again and bored out for a new set of pistons and a Cam with bearings all the way through.

I did not get a harness, intake, injectors, coil pack or accessories with it, but for what i got it for I think I can take my sweet time on the rebuild process that way i can spend the $ to say its done right.

This will be going in my 85 Cutlass Salon which is currently sporting a V6, weak transmission and non posi rear end. Thing wont pull your head back going down hill, but I still love cruising in it and Look forward to the day I can hear it chopping. I hope to find a 4l80E to keep up with the 5.3 but that will come once i get the motor buttoned back up a bit. I always say if i was back in the lower 48 States as we say here in Alaska, parts would be easier to come by. I'm always seeing deals down there, but shipping is a b****.

I know someone has a parts list around here that i can search for, but I'm currently doing research on engine mounts. Any one wanna share their v6 to LS v8 engine mount story or post the perfect link?

Thank you in advance and I look forward to the replies.

Stay Safe everyone.

IMG_20200624_165852262.jpg
IMG_20200622_140014416.jpg
IMG_20200622_140014416.jpg

Reactions: 2 users

Tony1968

Royal Smart Person
Supporting Member
Jul 1, 2018
NW Indiana
Well I haven't added it all up but it's a large stack of receipts.

Reactions: 1 user

Injectedcutty

G body LS mafia
Nov 24, 2014
Louisville, KY
Agreed with Tony, Holley has nice stuff. I was super budget conscious so I didn't opt for their pan, mounts, headers, etc. However in the future if another swap is done I will I'll look at options. I did use the Holley mid rise on my 5.3/80E build and it's definitely an attention getter at shows so far....
IMG_20200720_150456_666.jpg

• Winner
  • Love
Reactions: 5 users

Injectedcutty

G body LS mafia
Nov 24, 2014
Louisville, KY
Well I haven't added it all up but it's a large stack of receipts.
NEVER ADD IT UP BRO!!!!!!! I did that years ago with my 355 setup, got to like $13K and about got sick, haven't tallied since. I keep receipts if there is a warranty claim, but other than that just enjoy it.

Reactions: 5 users

Tony1968

Royal Smart Person
Supporting Member
Jul 1, 2018
NW Indiana
Sometimes budget and LS swap don't go together very well..... We all can do it much cheaper but sometimes you have to pay a little more to see your vision come true. I'm as blue collar as it gets but I'm a saver too.

Reactions: 1 users

Tony1968

Royal Smart Person
Supporting Member
Jul 1, 2018
NW Indiana
LOS HINES. Make sure that is in fact a 5.3 because 4.8 came in trucks as well. There is no way to tell from the outside

Reactions: 1 users
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor