Steering column parts needed - is used the only option?

Status
Not open for further replies.

64nailhead

Goat Herder
Dec 1, 2014
Upstate NY
I found a great online reference on working on those columns. I have a hard copy at the office (only place with a printer that could print it). I'll post a link tomorrow. I'm going to send myself a reminder now....
Thanks - I could use it.

I was wrong in my previous post - my lower bearing fell apart. I put it back together and reassembled, but it’s had it. It’s almost right now, but still a little loose. I need to replace the two bearings and I believe all will be good.

Reactions: 2 users

64nailhead

Goat Herder
Dec 1, 2014
Upstate NY

Texas82GP

Just-a-worm
Apr 3, 2015
Spring, Texas

64nailhead

Goat Herder
Dec 1, 2014
Upstate NY
Bearings and seats/retainers and junk? You'd have to buy bearing and spring kits. Generally not serviced separately.

7844650 tilt spring kit has the bearing races/seats.
View attachment 163114

The upper bearing not serviced separately, but would come in the rack kit. P/N 7844651.
View attachment 163115
I bought the upper bearing kit - $40 on Amazon. Pulling for this to solve the problem. Presently have the bearings in the freezer for easier install.

I have to say that the video Hutch made for tearing this column apart is noteworthy. Excellent information and very easy to follow.

Reactions: 4 users

64nailhead

Goat Herder
Dec 1, 2014
Upstate NY
Close, but no cigar.

It's better, but still has some wobble only when the shaft is pushed into the column. There has to be something that keeps that shaft from sliding fore and aft in the column. Comparing to other columns in other cars (GM's of course), none of them have much of any fore and aft movement.

I'll be pulling the column from the car and working on it on a bench - I've had enough hehe.

Good thing I'm not in a hurry lol - this is taking forever.

• Sad
Reactions: 1 user

69hurstolds

Geezer
Supporting Member
Jan 2, 2006
Although not overly complicated, it's like a Tetris game inside there.

Hutch's video is great. If you have a sloppy tilt, this will do it.

But if you want to go DEEPER into that column, this video has a lot of good tips and visuals. Guy's faster than he should be for trying to teach anything, but a good video nonetheless. No hurry though, it's an hour and a half.

Reactions: 1 users

64nailhead

Goat Herder
Dec 1, 2014
Upstate NY
Although not overly complicated, it's like a Tetris game inside there.

Hutch's video is great. If you have a sloppy tilt, this will do it.

But if you want to go DEEPER into that column, this video has a lot of good tips and visuals. Guy's faster than he should be for trying to teach anything, but a good video nonetheless. No hurry though, it's an hour and a half.

What parts are interchangeable between columns? Specifically, could I put the upper tilt section that accepts the wiper/turn signal switch into a g column that had a dash mounted wiper switch? Seems like it should interchangeable, but .... maybe you or someone knows.

64nailhead

Goat Herder
Dec 1, 2014
Upstate NY
Okay, I’m feeling redeemed because I’ve determined what the issue was with the 40+ years old design that took me about 5 hrs of head scratching to figure out.

3C233AB3-C00D-45FC-A089-45C300C322CB.jpeg

The ridge on the shaft was caused from , guessing’ the car being driven with the column bearings destroyed for an extended period. I never noticed it because I , ummm, didn’t pay close enough attention. It caused this :
99F4243E-D292-4177-A857-97C8A3350676.jpeg

That is as far as the upper race could slide on. And it needs to go in further. After some emery paper and cleaning it now slides down the length of the shaft (sounds dirty). See

687F0839-F288-467B-ADD2-FDAEDD6469DE.jpeg
6A950858-9BA0-4748-8149-FE2DF6B8B8EC.jpeg

No more slop - about time. Now onto transforming a column shift into a floor shift column.

Thanks for help guys.

64nailhead

Goat Herder
Dec 1, 2014
Upstate NY
Shockingly, this column is like new after getting the lock plate and steering wheel mounted. Hard to imagine that those two bearings tightened it up this much.

The steering wheel is a placeholder presently, but once the new wheel is on I'll try to remember to update with some pics of the floor shift conversion.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor