Steering Column Pivot Pin Removal Tool Broke Inside Pivot Pin

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tynan918

Royal Smart Person
Aug 2, 2021
Tore down my steering column to replace my ignition actuator rack and reconnect my rod so I can finally start my car with my key...

I'm down to removing just one pivot been before I'm able to remove the ceramic housing cover covering the actuator rod and rack.

I used the pivot pin remover tool from NAPA, and the second tool broke inside of the pivot pin (first tool broke too, but not inside pin).

How do I remove this broken piece inside of the pivot pin ?

Dremel cutting wheel and flat tip screwdriver ? Hammer and chisel to pry out the pivot pin itself ?

oldsofb

Royal Smart Person
Supporting Member
Dec 7, 2007
Maryland
Reactions: 2 users

Longroof79

Rocket Powered Basset Hound
G-Body of the Month
Oct 14, 2008
Gainesville, Fl
Hey, that's good news. I suppose you can use the slide hammer without marring it and return it after you're done using it.
Another method as was mentioned earlier, using a vise grip with a bolt threaded into the pin....or a small length of threaded stock (all thread) with a small weighted object with a hole in it. I don't think it would take much to improvise a tool.

Reactions: 1 user

John Canon

Apprentice
Apr 19, 2022
Vancouver Canada
You have a slide puller in your hands, use it and then put it in a bottom drawer. First set the steering wheel so the column is dead straight ... it MIGHT take off a bit of pressure? Before using the slide hammer squirt some penetrating fluid or light oil because the pivot pin is stuck in a dry socket. You ground out a slot in the top of the pivot pin, maybe you could use a large screwdriver or punch to get some turning action on the pin. Maybe, maybe not. Now use the slide hammer with quick multiple medium-hard bumps to get looseness and some movement.

mikester

Comic Book Super Hero
Mar 10, 2010
Small town NY
You have a slide puller in your hands, use it and then put it in a bottom drawer. First set the steering wheel so the column is dead straight ... it MIGHT take off a bit of pressure? Before using the slide hammer squirt some penetrating fluid or light oil because the pivot pin is stuck in a dry socket. You ground out a slot in the top of the pivot pin, maybe you could use a large screwdriver or punch to get some turning action on the pin. Maybe, maybe not. Now use the slide hammer with quick multiple medium-hard bumps to get looseness and some movement.
Funny, Im 68. Been doing car stuff since my folks helped me buy a 55 Chevy in 1971 when I was a junior in HS. Never owned a slide hammer. Borrowed one from a friend to pull a small dent out of the cab of my 54 Willys pickup and never used one again. LOL

565bbchevy

Geezer
Aug 8, 2011
Michigan
I have a slide hammer for removing bearings but after watching Hutch's video on steering column repair below I bought the tool recommended for when I get around to rebuilding my Monte column for the Regal.

Reactions: 1 users

Tynan918

Royal Smart Person
Aug 2, 2021
Got the pivot pin out earlier today.

I bought an 8/32x1 bolt, and bolts and washers, and cut down the brace that came with the junk tool I bought half off and made a miniature puller tool...

IMG_20220813_172411670.jpg
IMG_20220813_172728436.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_20220813_172411670.jpg
    IMG_20220813_172411670.jpg
    765.7 KB · Views: 66

Tynan918

Royal Smart Person
Aug 2, 2021
Ok, I got the pivot pins out but the ceramic housing isn't sliding off. I have the tilt spring removed...
IMG_20220813_172816626_HDR.jpg

what else needs to be removed before I'm able to access the ignition actuator rack to replace it and reconnect my ignition switch rod so I can finally start my car with my key again ?

Tynan918

Royal Smart Person
Aug 2, 2021
I have a slide hammer for removing bearings but after watching Hutch's video on steering column repair below I bought the tool recommended for when I get around to rebuilding my Monte column for the Regal.
Just watched this...best video ever. I'll get started on it tomorrow in the morning.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor