Steering Columns

Status
Not open for further replies.

Texas82GP

Just-a-worm
Apr 3, 2015
Spring, Texas
Lots of good info in your old thread....

Reactions: 1 users

ssn696

Living in the Past
Supporting Member
Jul 19, 2009
Permanent Temporary
I have a tilt manual S10 column. Yes, the toeboard plate is different but you could carefully swap yours. Someone posted that the overall column length may be different. I boxed and buried it, so I don't have it handy to measure, but the steering box side has the same double-D shaft end as the 79-up G-body.

When I switched G-body columns a couple months ago, the toeboard plate was bent from when the idiot pulled on it having missed the fourth bolt. I had to do some body work on it. If you do go the S10 route, I recommend a slip fit, then tacking it down when it's bolted into the dash, then pull it out to finish the welding.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: 4 users

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
i have one of these but haven't tried it yet. 1990-2002 f-body ignition cylinder, made for manual trans with a key release button. it might be a great alternative.

thanks, that looks real interesting.....I have the WVE brand of a blower fan module in my Jeep and it's been working great for over a year so they seem to have quality products

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
Lots of good info in your old thread....

I kinda forgot about that thread.....😳

• Haha
Reactions: 1 user

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
Steve,

The first gen (82-94?) S10's did in fact come with tilt and set up for a floor shift manual transmission. When searching through sources like car-part.com these columns are often referred to as "tilt/floor shift" columns. To my knowledge the first gen S10's were not available with a floor shifted automatic transmission so any floor shift column should include the key release.

I have a floor shift/tilt column from a first gen S10. I intend to use parts from it and the column from my car to build a column which has tilt, the key release and the multi-function switch (wipers, turn signals, cruise, etc.). A few members on here have built columns similarly, like Eric (Clutch).

I just checked carpart.com and no S10 steering columns available for 94 and down, there is a couple from a 2000 S10 but I have not read anyone using one from that year.

O. D. Showtime

Comic Book Super Hero
Feb 6, 2009
Regina Sask. Canada
I just checked carpart.com and no S10 steering columns available for 94 and down, there is a couple from a 2000 S10 but I have not read anyone using one from that year.

I was walking a local wrecker here a week or so ago and saw about a 90 S10 two tone red with a body that didn't look that bad. Black interior with a tilt manual column...too bad someone busted it all to hell or I could have pulled it.

• Sad
Reactions: 1 user

gnvair

Royal Smart Person
Sep 1, 2018
Southern New Jersey near Philly
I did this. I used an 83 S10 tilt column and an original non tilt 78-81 A body manual trans column and another 78-88 regular tilt column.
You need the following from the S10
The lower housing/bowl
The lock lever
The special ignition switch actuator rod and the guide for the lock lever off of the upper bearing housing (or use the entire housing from the S10)
You also need the upper mast/tube from the tilt S10 as the top is different from the automatic columns.
The lower piece at the floor definitely needs to be 78-88 A/G body because of the flange. But you can use an automatic one. The difference is the automatic one has holes the the shifter lever. The manual trans one does not.
To put these together requires complete disassembly of the column. The tubes are presses together. To do it right you really need a car to use as a fixture to make sure the top mounting bolts end up in the correct spot.
I used the steering shaft from a regular 79-88 tilt column as they are multiple pieces pressed together. The S10 shaft could be used be it seemed like a fight I didn't want to battle, besides the A/G body shaft was already the correct length!
I used the 79-up shaft so I could use a Jeep or Astro lower shaft. Mine worked out great but it cost some $$ and a lot of time!
IMG_20181206_201939521.jpg
IMG_20190111_075317119.jpg
IMG_20190111_075320161.jpg
IMG_20190111_075346063.jpg

• Winner
Reactions: 4 users

gnvair

Royal Smart Person
Sep 1, 2018
Southern New Jersey near Philly
You must use the older round Saginaw column from the S10. The newer columns came in 1994 when they restyled the S10.
Feel free to ask any questions about the columns. I have built a lot of them over the years

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor