Steering gear woes... Replacement options.

Status
Not open for further replies.

oldsmobile joe

Royal Smart Person
Nov 12, 2015
mpls
I'm anxious to hear answers to CrackedHead's question too. What do people who have made the quick ratio swap think of it? Did it rock your world? Inquiring minds want to know!

Cheers - Gary
i can't answer his question on that particular gear. i can comment on the f41 mcss style 800 series gear.
i replaced both of my '79 calais variable ratio steering gears with 800 series steering gears from iroc camaros. i liked the feel of the variable gears but i didn't like the variable part. they are quick in the center but get slower the farther you turn from center. the iroc gears are 12.7 to 1 ratio and have a slightly reduced turning radius so my big tires won't rub on the wheel wells.
i did the same with my 78 salon, that had the 605 series gear, the feel was very sloppy. i put an iroc gear in this too, so all three cars feel and act the same.
my dad purchased a salon new in '79. pretty much a base car. he hated the steering on that car from the day he brought it home. after a couple of years of putting up with it, he finally started checking around with local shops, this is how it was done before the internet. he found out he had the 605 gear. so he went to the junk yard and got an 800 gear from a g-body and swapped them. he was very happy then. the car felt completely different. it wasn't sloppy or wandering around on the road.

my recommend is this, if you have a 605 gear, replace it, with anything else. its worth the time.
also, verify your steering linkage is good, including your idler arm. gm spec for looseness on the idler arm is ridiculous, it like 1/4" of play or something. if there is play, replace it. moog makes a great idler arm.
joe.

• Agree
Reactions: 1 users

mikester

Comic Book Super Hero
Mar 10, 2010
Small town NY
I think the box you want from Lares is a 1282. I have their boxes in my 81 coupe and the 83 wagon. The one I bought is for a Monte SS with the close ratio box. I found the best deal at Advance Auto. The price was close and I returned the core back to the store so there was no shipping at all.
I would call Lares customer support and ask if the box can be made with flare fittings.

CrackedHead

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Jun 20, 2017
Before swapping in a new box, verify the steering wheel is straight when the flat on the box input shaft is straight up. The best gearbox has play off center, so centering it should always be first. The steering wheel and tie rods need to be centered on gearbox center.

Yeah I've already done this, it's not a linkage or position issue.

I've ordered the 1105 box. I will keep everyone posted of what exactly it is and if/how it works.

307 Regal

Royal Smart Person
Oct 21, 2009
Northern Indiana
*just posting so I remember to follow this.

Longroof79

Rocket Powered Basset Hound
Oct 14, 2008
Gainesville, Fl
I'm anxious to hear answers to CrackedHead's question too. What do people who have made the quick ratio swap think of it? Did it rock your world? Inquiring minds want to know!

Cheers - Gary
Gary,
The difference was noticeable immediately. The 605 box is an out and out POS. I've replaced one another time with another 605...waste of time.
The 800 series boxes are sturdier and outlast the 605 by a long shot. My immediate impression was that it seemed to have a better, more positive road feel....plus the quick ratio makes the car react quicker. It's already saved my bacon a few times.
If guys would rather have an easier steering feel, the power steering pump needs to be re-valved for easier steering. I personally like the firmer steering feel.
Either way, I don't think you'd be disappointed.
Btw, I installed the Monte SS steering box back in 2000...it's still going strong.

Longroof79

Rocket Powered Basset Hound
Oct 14, 2008
Gainesville, Fl
That was actually on the first power tour I took. The back was loaded down with tools, clothes, and 5 cases of beer :) We took a bit of a detour and went down the tail of the dragon, that's from one of the photographers that line the road.

Cruising the Tail of the Dragon is on my bucket list. My friend and I would like to do it in our Porsches.

• Agree
Reactions: 2 users

CrackedHead

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Jun 20, 2017
I got the box, it is installed, works great! It did have flare fittings in it, so my old hoses bolted up to it.

Turning radius does not seem to be decreased, but I didn't do an official measurement before and after.

I would recommend this upgrade if you have a 605 box. You will need an 800 series pitman arm though. I ended up getting one from Allstar performance (PN ALL56357), they had a dealer down the road from my work. Cost was $45.

Z48LT1

Greasemonkey
Oct 10, 2015
Space Coast, Florida
Thanks for the report, but I must have been out of class one day. What's the rest of the ID on the steering box beyond "1105"?

Also, did you do the intermediate steering shaft upgrade already?

Regardless, great to know you've improved your wagon. Now for another shot at the Dragon?

Cheers - Gary

Texas82GP

Just-a-worm
Apr 3, 2015
Spring, Texas
Thanks for the report, but I must have been out of class one day. What's the rest of the ID on the steering box beyond "1105"?

Regardless, great to know you've improved your wagon. Now for another shot at the Dragon?

Cheers - Gary
I believe he means the Lares #1105 box....
http://www.rockauto.com/en/parts/lares,1105,steering+gear,7416
It is the same box that is on my brothers 78 Z28 (F41 - quick ratio). I think he went with this because he wanted the box to have flare fittings.

CrackedHead

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Jun 20, 2017

Cheers - Gary

1105 is the part number listed on rock auto's site for this box. The long way to get to it is to select 1979 Pontiac LeMans Power steering gear
https://www.rockauto.com/?mfr=LARES&partnum=1105

I have also done the jeep intermediate shaft upgrade prior to this, the steering is defiantly tight now.

The dragon is on my list of things to visit again!

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor