Steering gear woes... Replacement options.

Status
Not open for further replies.

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
I have also done the jeep intermediate shaft upgrade prior to this, the steering is defiantly tight now.

I never heard of a steering gear being defiant, I hope it doesn't decide to turn left when you want to turn right.....:D

• Agree
Reactions: 1 user

Z48LT1

Greasemonkey
Oct 10, 2015
Space Coast, Florida
1105 is the part number listed on rock auto's site for this box. The long way to get to it is to select 1979 Pontiac LeMans Power steering gear
https://www.rockauto.com/?mfr=LARES&partnum=1105

Very interesting. That's shown as having a 10:1 gear ratio. Here I was thinking the quickest ratio was 12.7:1. Browsing RockAuto reveals the Lares 1105 being listed for the Monte Carlo and El Camino up through 1979 but not for the 1980 and presumably later. I wonder if it's safe to assume the fitment is the same for all years? Anyone know for sure?

I guess maybe my last question might be would you characterize the steering as "twitchy" or borderline too quick at 10:1? I think I read a comment to that effect in one of the many threads on this subject.

No, I've thought of another What was the pitman arm compatibility problem? Index spline differences?

Cheers - Gary

pagrunt

Geezer
Sep 14, 2014
Elderton, Pa
Very interesting. That's shown as having a 10:1 gear ratio. Here I was thinking the quickest ratio was 12.7:1. Browsing RockAuto reveals the Lares 1105 being listed for the Monte Carlo and El Camino up through 1979 but not for the 1980 and presumably later. I wonder if it's safe to assume the fitment is the same for all years? Anyone know for sure?
'80 on up has the O ring type fittings.

• Agree
Reactions: 1 user

CrackedHead

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Jun 20, 2017
pagrunt I suspect is right, and if you go through the fitment guide on RockAuto's site it only lists 77-79 GM cars. Other brands for other years have the same box.

The pitman arm question has been answered on here also by me. I used a All Star performance pitman arm for a 800 series box. I also updated the first post here with that info for part numbers and a link to the specs.

Steering doesn't seem twitchy, I will say that there's a bit more effort in steering that with the 605 box, but I attribute that mostly to the ratio difference.

Longroof79

Rocket Powered Basset Hound
Oct 14, 2008
Gainesville, Fl
Generally the close ratio boxes require more effort. However, the power steering pump can be re-valved for more power assist. I've never re-valved my PS pump because I prefer having increased effort in the steering.

I'll have to go thru some of my old files and find the part #'s. Monte Carlo SS' and the other performance models used the different valve for lighter steering feel.

CrackedHead

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Jun 20, 2017
If you could find that info I'd like to see it for sure. It's not tough to steer by any means, but it's not the pinky steering that it was either.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor