Steering gear woes... Replacement options.

Status
Not open for further replies.

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
You must have been coming from the beer store in this picture...:D

pic6-jpg.68773

Reactions: 1 users

Longroof79

Rocket Powered Basset Hound
Oct 14, 2008
Gainesville, Fl
That's a good looking wagon, man.
I'm glad to hear that you're getting alot of use out of it...besides towing your T-bucket.
I'm sure with it's new LS powerplant you enjoy driving it even more so.
Thanks for sharing the pics. Always nice to see more wagon guys coming aboard.

• Agree
Reactions: 1 users

CrackedHead

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Jun 20, 2017
Sorry CrackedHead I have no information that will help you on this topic, but you may be able to help me out. Can you tell me everything about your air conditioning set up?

Everything huh... Well I don't want to get to far off base here, as I'm looking for info on the power steering gear. Here's the basics:

Holley bracket 20-134
Holley spacer kit (for truck accessories) 21-3
Sanden SD5 compressor (Also known as the 508 compressor)
Corvette idler pulley (97 Corvette - 12564401 - Dayco 89059)
Lingenfelter rpm-003 used as a RPM switch to turn off the compressor above 4000 RPM.

The hoses were made at a local parts store.

Everything else is stock on the car.

You must have been coming from the beer store in this picture...:D

I'll just say I wasn't on the brakes, those are the tail lights on :D

That's a good looking wagon, man.
I'm glad to hear that you're getting alot of use out of it...besides towing your T-bucket.
I'm sure with it's new LS powerplant you enjoy driving it even more so.
Thanks for sharing the pics. Always nice to see more wagon guys coming aboard.

The T-bucket is a friends car, we went to a local car show once like that. It was a bit sketchy and wasn't repeated.

Thanks for the warm welcome!

Reactions: 2 users

Z48LT1

Greasemonkey
Oct 10, 2015
Space Coast, Florida
Slick wagon. RockAuto has two models of steering gear boxes for '87 Monte Carlos by three different vendors. The Cardone boxes have helpful information, including number of turns lock to lock: for the version "with sport package" the number is 2.5 - 2.7; "w/o sport package", 3,0 - 3.5.

Looks like an easy selection to me.

Cheers - Gary

• Agree
Reactions: 1 user

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
I'll just say I wasn't on the brakes, those are the tail lights on :D

I wasn't taking about the tail lights, I was referring to the tail almost dragging on the ground with presumably a load of beer in the wagon....:friday:

• Agree

CrackedHead

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Jun 20, 2017
That was actually on the first power tour I took. The back was loaded down with tools, clothes, and 5 cases of beer :) We took a bit of a detour and went down the tail of the dragon, that's from one of the photographers that line the road.

Texas82GP

Just-a-worm
Apr 3, 2015
Spring, Texas
What power steering pump are you using? Are you using the 6.0 truck pump? It would have a metric bubble flare on the pressure fitting, so you'd need a custom pressure line to conect to a box with inverted flare fittings anyway, so why not use an F41 gearbox (think MCSS, GN, 442). They are readily available and so is the pitman arm. Short of a custom pressure hose, it's a bolt on swap.

CrackedHead

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Jun 20, 2017
What power steering pump are you using? Are you using the 6.0 truck pump? It would have a metric bubble flare on the pressure fitting, so you'd need a custom pressure line to conect to a box with inverted flare fittings anyway, so why not use an F41 gearbox (think MCSS, GN, 442). They are readily available and so is the pitman arm. Short of a custom pressure hose, it's a bolt on swap.

I am using a stock truck pump. I removed the fitting from the 301 pump and swapped it with the truck pump fitting. Then I used a stock line.

Why not use a quicker ratio box that fits I guess is my question.

Z48LT1

Greasemonkey
Oct 10, 2015
Space Coast, Florida
I'm anxious to hear answers to CrackedHead's question too. What do people who have made the quick ratio swap think of it? Did it rock your world? Inquiring minds want to know!

Cheers - Gary

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor