Steps to Remove/install Door???

Status
Not open for further replies.

classic_man

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Oct 17, 2009
Wisconsin
I need to replace my passenger side door on my 79 Malibu. I have an el camino door. Glass has been removed to accommodate the malibu glass. I've never done this before. I need to take the old one off and put the new one on. Any advice before me and my buddy start this would be helpful. Thanks.

-83MONTESS-

Comic Book Super Hero
Nov 4, 2010
Bellevue, Ohio
If you care about the paint on both the new door and the door jam I would put duct tape on both the door jam and the inside of the door. I didnt do this when I put my doors back on after paint and ended up with a few nicks. Other than that just reverse what you did in taking it apart and be careful and go slow. Those b*tches are heavy even empty. Remember: lift with your legs :lol:

565bbchevy

Geezer
Aug 8, 2011
Michigan
I used a floor jack with a 2 x 4 with a towel wrapped around it to rest my door on and adjust height.

Reactions: 1 user

Longroof79

Rocket Powered Basset Hound
Oct 14, 2008
Gainesville, Fl
I also use the floor jack and 2 x 4 method. Works for me. I also agree with placing tape along the edges to keep them from nicking.

Peter

Royal Smart Person
Jun 27, 2007
MA
Blake442 said:
Don't use duct tape. You run the risk of peeling up paint when you remove it.
Stack up a few layers of masking tape instead...

X2 duct tape will do way more harm than good

Longroof79

Oct 14, 2008
Gainesville, Fl
I guess I should've also specified masking tape instead of duct tape. I agree that duct tape could peel your paint.

Marik Bathory

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Mar 17, 2013
Duct tape is thicker and stronger than masking and will protect your paint better. It will then trash your paint when you remove it. Masking tape is liely enough but if you're really anal. put masking tape on first, then cover with duct tape.

If you have one, I'd use a shop crane instead of a floor jack. wrap the whole door with a heavy towel or mover's blanket. then wrap it verticly with two heavy duty ratchet straps a third ratchet strap running through the first two will act as a pick point. with the weight suspended from above the door will be much easier to align. even the scrawniest of girlfriend's can hold it in place.

also, if you haven't got one already, grab a door spring tool from Harbor Freight. saves a headache later on.

hope this helps.

Longroof79

Oct 14, 2008
Gainesville, Fl
Granted, the shop crane idea is a good one, and much easier to maneuver than a floor jack. However, more guys have a floor jack more readily at their disposal than an engine crane. Just my opinion.

As for using duct tape, I would just stick to (pardon the pun) a few layers of masking tape.

-83MONTESS-

Comic Book Super Hero
Nov 4, 2010
Bellevue, Ohio
Blake442 said:
Don't use duct tape. You run the risk of peeling up paint when you remove it.
Stack up a few layers of masking tape instead...
:? I have used duct tape for quite a few things regarding protecting paint and have never had an issue. I used it when I put my hood on and the paint was maybe a month old. Just use some Goo Gone when removing it. Masking tape rips too easy.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor