BUILD THREAD Street/Strip Cutlass Build: Race it, break it, fix it, repeat.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kwik_Cutty88

Royal Smart Person
Nov 22, 2011
Coastal North Carolina
Re: Budget Cutlass Build Thread, Making Progress.

Intragration said:
Kwik_Cutty88 said:
Also forgot to ask...have any of you guys dropped the motor and trans in as a combo with the hood still on? We have always put the motor in, then put the trans in from the bottom.

Cool build, I just read it start to finish. I always do engine and trans together, but I always take the hood off. This seems easier to me. It only takes five minutes, and it's not hard to get it re-aligned. I imagine it would be pretty difficult to do the combo with the hood on.

Thanks Man. Yeah it's a tight squeeze even just with the motor with the hood on, so I figured we should try putting them in as one. Gotta be easier then my dad bringing the trans in on his chest. :shock:

lg1200

Master Mechanic
Mar 1, 2011

Jegs 6-3/4" balancer

null_zps5c18d46b.jpg

You will need a 8" balancer from my experience..possibly a reason for the problems you've noted with the cracked bellhousing, etc..I'd definitely confirm that before pressing the Jegs balancer on bro..seriously. Just my $.02!

-83MONTESS-

Comic Book Super Hero
Nov 4, 2010
Bellevue, Ohio

I dont think size of balancer matters as long as its balanced. The same goes for the flywheel. I swapped a few different sized balancers on the engines I have had and never had issue. Just make sure not to mix up 400 balancers with any other small block balancers.

Tank

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Jul 28, 2011
Sedalia, Missouri

Kwik_Cutty88 said:
I've been making some significant progress, just haven't been taking a ton of pics (i know, i know :oops:). Anyways, Ive been collecting parts, and the bottom end is all finished up. Under hood is all put back together just waiting for the motor to go back in. Also got my new gauges in, which I'm really happy with. Here are some pics.

Here is how the gauge panel worked out. It was a tight squeeze, but its nice. I've never seen it done before, while retaining the factory speedo.

My new intake, Edelbrock Performer EPS, I'm really happy with the way it looks. Planning on doing a mild gasket match.

Also got the heads back from the machine shop. Machined for screw in studs, valve and spring guides cut down. Also milled down a little bit, and a valve job. We are planning to do a mild gasket match on the intake and exhuast side.

Decided to get some new pistons as well. They will bring compression to around 10.5:1, maybe a little more with the heads milled down.

New tall centerbolt polished aluminum valve covers, hope they clear my rockers.

Also got some various odds and ends, break in oil, gaskets, etc. Still need to get a cam button, intake gaskets, and engine paint. Then we can put the heads on and it will be ready to go!

EDIT: Also forgot to ask...have any of you guys dropped the motor and trans in as a combo with the hood still on? We have always put the motor in, then put the trans in from the bottom.

Looks good, I am surprised you didn't go with the LED oil and water gauge to match your voltmeter.

Kwik_Cutty88

Royal Smart Person
Nov 22, 2011
Coastal North Carolina

I kinda wanted gauges with lettering that sort of matched the speedo. Eventually I might change those out to VDO's for a closer look

Kwik_Cutty88

Royal Smart Person
Nov 22, 2011
Coastal North Carolina

Got one of the heads ported tonight, and torqued down on the block. Didn't wanna go too agrees solve in the porting. I'll let the pictures do the talking.

Dad going at it with the die grinder

null_zps179f454d.jpg

Before

null_zps93647c5e.jpg

After

null_zps4bd4a182.jpg

Quick mock up shot. Looks killer!

null_zpsa484a99e.jpg

Kwik_Cutty88

Royal Smart Person
Nov 22, 2011
Coastal North Carolina

Hey guys. I was messing around with my headers yesterday and test fitted them on the motor just to see. The new vortec heads have little screw hole provisions on them for factory wire looms that I'd like to use. However the header flange has a sort of half circle thing that interferes with the hole. I was wonder if I can just trim this off, or will it cause a problem?

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    17.2 KB · Views: 925
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor