84sbcregal23deg

Apprentice
Jan 6, 2011
Long island, NY
SScamino said:
84sbcregal23deg said:
M.Bailey said:
didnt all the f bodies come with 8.5s?

nope, the older ones (1981 and older) i believe had 8.2s which is very comparable to an 8.5. but 1982-2002 were all 7.5s. i have a customer with a 2001 SLP camaro that we put a wild drivetrain in that still has the 7.5. hasn't broken it yet, altough it doesn't get launched too hard. car has a built stock displacement LS6 with a procharger D1-SC at 15 lbs of boost. makes 740 hp to the tires on pump gas/methanol injection on et street radials with a 6 speed and still hasnt broken the 7.5 yet. im sure it won't last forever, but i guess if you don't abuse it, it'll hold up better than most would expect. proved me way wrong, I told him that it might break even on a highway pull.

Last year of the 8.2 was like 1970 you will find 8.5s in 2nd gen fbodys 1982-1985 had the 7.5 but were weak so they got the 7.625 or whatever and I've heard rumors of a borg warner 9 bolt rear end that was put into the iroc Z's and from google research I see this is true... But yes 7.5s can handle power well if taken care of and have proper upgrades!

thanks for the info, cleared that up for me, wasn't sure when the 8.2's were retired!

andrewmp6

Master Mechanic
Sep 9, 2007
Any rear end can break if you push it hard,I have killed a dana 60 and a few 9 inches in my day.There is some high powered gn out there still on there stock 8.5 which is nice but still could break.

Robert

Apprentice
Nov 5, 2007
Germany
Quick Performance and ask for Brydon....
The make killer deals on 9" for G-bodys...

MD13ailey

Master Mechanic
Aug 26, 2009
Columbia city, Oregob
i got my 9" at quikperformance and its awsome and it fit better than the factory rear did to be honest

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor