Stupid things buyers/sellers do

Status
Not open for further replies.

69hurstolds

Geezer
Supporting Member
Jan 2, 2006
I've had at least 4 of those in the passed week or so, both for my Cutty and an audi I have for sale. Asking all the right questions, seems very interested, then drops off the planet.

Had one guy a few months back get back to me a week later after he was supposed to show up. Said he was in a car accident, would be there the following weekend.

Yeah, ok.
Maybe he was such a bad driver, he got in another wreck on his way over...friggin' sellers always assume.... :)

This is why car dealers always want you to buy TODAY because they know if you sleep on it, you may change your mind about buying.

I quit "promising" people anything anymore unless they put a stack of paper in my hand that matched my selling price. Like, oh, please don't sell it until I get there, I want to buy it, consider it sold, I'm on my way now...blah blah blah (never shows up).

Reminds me of this one time, at band camp....guy goes to buy an old truck I had for sale a long time ago, and he says "lemme talk to my wife first, and if she's cool with it, I'll come back and buy it tomorrow afternoon." Nice enough guy, and seemed really interested, we agreed on a selling price, so I said I'd sit on it until the next day without any earnest money. Had 2 other people stop and look at it and I told them there was a tentative sale pending. Oh, ok. Offered to call them if the deal fell through...no, it's ok. Next day, I heard nothing. Another turn downed potential buyer gets sent away that afternoon. That evening I called him with a Dude, wtf?- (paraphrasing) Him: "no, she told me last night I couldn't spend that kind of money on a truck right now." Me: "Last nigh? You could have called me. Would have been nice to know!" I chalked up another reason to despise inconsiderate people.

Lesson learned. F*ck 'em all. You want it, pony up the $$ and it's yours. You don't cough up some change, keep wishin'. First person to actually hand over the agreed selling price gets the item. You want promises? Go ask a politician.

• Agree
  • Winner
Reactions: 2 users

Ribbedroof

Comic Book Super Hero
Supporting Member
Jan 4, 2009
Wellston, OK
Rule #1 of selling....first one there with the cash wins.

Sold the wife's former DD a few weeks back. Like an idiot, I posted it on FB Marketplace (first mistake). This chick sends me this message... want

I replied with "How about a complete sentence?"

After the car sold the next morning, I marked it sold (second mistake)

She messages me again with how much she wanted it, her husband would have come with the asking price in cash last night (they were about 12 miles away), but she guesses I just didn't want her to have the car even though she desperately needed it to carry their children to appointments....blah blah. Finished up with "How's that for a sentence?"

Being the nice guy I am, I sent her a response telling her that had she communicated THAT in her first message, she would likely have been the buyer. Then I told her I was sure there was a better car out there for her, and wished her well.

Lesson learned....delete ad, don't mark it sold (there was a LOT of interest in it, since it was about 60% of usual asking for comps). I thought marking it sold would stop the tide of idiots asking if it was still available. Delete ad, leave group on any open messages is the way to go.

Reactions: 3 users

Ribbedroof

Comic Book Super Hero
Supporting Member
Jan 4, 2009
Wellston, OK
Here's another one I see a lot of lately....wheels "set of 3". WTF? that's a pair and a spare, not a "set". Not a lot of 3 wheeled cars these days, Messerschmitts excluded.

Reactions: 1 users

Ribbedroof

Comic Book Super Hero
Supporting Member
Jan 4, 2009
Wellston, OK
Or the "universal 4 or 5 lug". Seen that a few times as well

• Wow
Reactions: 1 user

Dayzedandkonfuzed

G-Body Guru
Feb 9, 2010
Anglemont, BC
I have a GOOD experience to share!

Had a guy ask about seeing the Cutlass last week. Sunday afternoon he texts me, saying he's on his way from Kelowna (almost 3 hours away.) So I text him back like "hey let me send you a few pics of the bad areas, I'd hate for you to be disappointed after coming all that way."

So I send him the pics, and he texts back "I appreciate the pics, that all seems in order, I don't think I'll be disappointed."

FINALLY SOMEONE WHO UNDERSTANDS THE VALUE OF THESE! I feel like everyone else thought they were gonna get an $8000 car for $3000, expecting my car to be 100% MINTY.

So he shows up, looks over the car. I feel like I did a piss poor job as a "seller" as I couldn't help but point out all the bad stuff about it. Probably my conscience trying to keep the car. Right as it seemed like he was gonna make me an offer, I told him to take it for a drive. When he gets back, he offers me $4000. I'm asking $4200 OBO. This deal couldn't have gone better, and I'm so happy not only to have dealt with someone with half a brain, but also that the car is going to someone with half a brain.

• Winner
Reactions: 5 users

Dayzedandkonfuzed

G-Body Guru
Feb 9, 2010
Anglemont, BC
Well.... I guess nothing goes as good as it seems.

This kid just texted me to tell me the motors ****ed in the Cutty, and I felt really bad and a little upset until I read his last text, that said "pretty rough for you to let me drive away in a car with no oil." Now I don't feel bad but am REALLY ****ING UPSET. I poured my blood, sweat, tears, and a ton of hard earned money into this motor, and for him to blame me for not checking the oil?! After replacing the belts, giving him spare belts, and letting go of the shaker scoop I said wasn't included in the ad, all out of kindness so he wouldn't have to do any screwing around and could just get on the road. Keep in mind I told him that a 3 hour highway drive is NOT what this car was built to do.

Who buys a car like this and doesn't pull the dipstick??? As far as I know, this had oil in it when it left my driveway. Plus it wouldn't have made the drive if it didnt....

I'm struggling here, am I a piece of sh*t?

Last edited:
  • Wow
Reactions: 1 user
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor