Stupid things buyers/sellers do

Status
Not open for further replies.

69hurstolds

Geezer
Supporting Member
Jan 2, 2006
When I sell stuff, I know pretty much what I'm willing to settle for, or at least a floor price. If I don't get it, then it stays where it is. I know I usually (not always) underprice stuff for the general market. Why? Because I price stuff to SELL, not to keep.

If someone offers me a price out of the blue for something without even advertising it for sale, I usually blow them off because in my experience, 99% of the time, they don't have money and are just full of hot air wishes.

Totally getting sick of pulling up to the gas station with some guy yelling across the way "You wanna sell that?" questions. My first instinct is to reply "Yes, but not to you." :)

Reactions: 1 users

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
Hell, I tried to buy another Malibu this week. Owner's buddy listed it at 1500, I set up a deal to come get it at the time set by owner, only to receive a message an hour later from his buddy that he had a buyer who offered 2500 "to seal the deal". 2 days later owner's buddy relisted it at 2500 and sent me a message that he had done so...I assume his "seal the deal" guy backed out/no-showed/never existed. I told him I was a buyer at the originally listed price, he got all cocky and told me that he had 30 people wanting it.. That was 4 days ago..it's still listed. Guess his 30 buyers don't have any money. His loss, I have cash and ready to buy, but i don't play that game.

Like I told him, I'd like to have it, but don't HAVE to have it.

Best part is...total radio silence from the guy that actually owns the car. Hope he appreciates his buddy "help"ing him out:rofl:

the owners friend is probably talking the owner into buying a truckload of TP cause it sells for $100 a roll on Ebay.....

SSpev

Greasemonkey
Jan 9, 2017
buyer - I'll give you $1000.
seller - If I can not get $1200 for it, it must be worthless. I'll crush it. :wtf:

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
You're unfairly depriving us of the entertainment sure to ensue if you reply!

I didn't have to, he messaged me after i removed the ad wondering if I sold it and when I told him that I reconsidered and kept it as a spare since there is only one other that I found for sale in Canada. He told me that even thought he made an offer he really didn't want it cuase they are junk and he was only trying to educate me and said there was a T56 for $850 in my area he was going to buy. I asked him for his link for his online courses cause I was not educated enough to find a T56 for $850...he declined.... :popcorn:

Ribbedroof

Comic Book Super Hero
Supporting Member
Jan 4, 2009
Wellston, OK
Totally getting sick of pulling up to the gas station with some guy yelling across the way "You wanna sell that?" questions. My first instinct is to reply "Yes, but not to you." :)

My response to this after years of hearing it is now"What kind of money are you talking about". If they don't scatter immediately, they usually ask" what would you take". I tell them start making an offer or go away.

Yeah, I'm not the most friendly person ever.

• Agree
  • Haha
Reactions: 2 users

Ratchet

Master Mechanic
Jan 10, 2018
Two years ago I had a vehicle for sale on CL and this guy shows up saying, "just wanting to see it". This did not sit well with me to entertain a shopper and not a serious buyer. It was dinner time and I wanted to eat not talk to a 'window shopper'. The next day it sells to a different person. I immediately removed the ad. Three days later the 'shopper' calls me wanting to know if I sold it. Then he wants to know what I sold it for. I don't even tell my friends the selling price. Now, it's two years later, (this past week) and the 'shopper' calls me asking for the number of the person I sold it to two years ago saying he wants to buy it. Unbelievable!

• Wow

69hurstolds

Geezer
Supporting Member
Jan 2, 2006
Two years ago I had a vehicle for sale on CL and this guy shows up saying, "just wanting to see it". This did not sit well with me to entertain a shopper and not a serious buyer. It was dinner time and I wanted to eat not talk to a 'window shopper'. The next day it sells to a different person. I immediately removed the ad. Three days later the 'shopper' calls me wanting to know if I sold it. Then he wants to know what I sold it for. I don't even tell my friends the selling price. Now, it's two years later, (this past week) and the 'shopper' calls me asking for the number of the person I sold it to two years ago saying he wants to buy it. Unbelievable!
Either 867-5309 or BR-549. Then hang up.

• Haha

565bbchevy

Geezer
Aug 8, 2011
Michigan
Either 867-5309 or BR-549. Then hang up.
I think Jenny changed her number after she bought the car, you might want to get a hold of Tommy to see if he knows what the new one is.

Reactions: 2 users

RabbitHoleSS

G-Body Guru
Dec 8, 2019
Indianapolis
Im selling/giving away parts local on marketplace. In the ad i have 10 or so pictures. In one is the middle console in another is pics of the 2 cars complete. So i put in the ad the console and whole car isn't for sale. Top 3 replys. #1 Is this available? Wtf do you want hiw can i know if "its available" if you dont tell me what "it" is. #2 How much for the whole car?:doh:#3 How much for the console? :blam: If your a buyer please read the entire ad. Another guy asked me to cut the the section of firewall out with the vin tag and sell it to him with the title. No i wont help you clean a stolen car( i couldnt think of any other reason youd want it)

Ratchet

Master Mechanic
Jan 10, 2018
There are a lot of cars that pop up on CL and FB Marketplace that do not have titles. They are not necessarily ‘stolen’ just un-paid for vehicles. The “Pay-on-the-Lot” used car ‘stealerships’ hold the titles until the last payment is made. Many of the cars being sold w/o a title have had derelict owners.
I’m sure you’ve noticed that these same lots always have a variety of down payments on the windshields even for mostly identically valued cars. The ‘down payments’ represent what the lot paid for the car. So, when a car gets sold the lot instantly gets back their investment. Any future payments they receive is just pure profit. So, when the purchaser quits making payments, changes their ‘burner’ phone number, and trailer court location, the lot owner gives up trying to collect/repo the car.

Reactions: 1 user
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor