Stupid things buyers/sellers do

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dayzedandkonfuzed

G-Body Guru
Feb 9, 2010
Anglemont, BC
These are the questions I don't respond to.

These are questions I love responding to.

When my cutty was listed for 5500 OBO I had a guy ask me that. I told him 5500. "can't do any better?" "Nope. Gotta get 5500."

Of course his first question was "How much boost will it take?"

And there was the time when I drove to pentiction to look at a "pretty clean 1979 monte." Pentiction is a little over 2 hours from me, one way. Needed a fender, bumper, header panel (real easy to find for these....) frame rails were rotten, dash was tremclad dyed, and then the seller informed me that he was keeping the seats for his truck. I will never travel to see a car again if the seller wont supply any more pictures.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user

pagrunt

Geezer
Sep 14, 2014
Elderton, Pa
One of the best for me was selling the old mobile home & stated "must be moved" just to get calls about how soone they can move in, how much more to rent the lot, could they stay there in it until they get a lot ready. Some peoples kids...🤬

• Haha
Reactions: 1 users

Ratchet

Master Mechanic
Jan 10, 2018
I list a lot of things on Craigslist, most of them auto related. If I have a car listed for sale it’s not unusual to get a text, “what’s your bottom dollar”?
They will ask this before asking any questions about the car.
I also will get a text, “I’ll give you $ X.00 for it today”. My response is the following:
“ How can you make an offer on a car without seeing it in person or asking any questions about it? The way legitimate sales begin is the buyer will ask the seller pertinent questions regarding the condition of the car. Then a date will be set to look at the car in person. An offer will be made and a mutual agreement for the sale will take place.”
After this response I’ll usually get called an “ as—ole”.

Last edited:
Reactions: 3 users

Ribbedroof

Comic Book Super Hero
Supporting Member
Jan 4, 2009
Wellston, OK
These are the questions I don't respond to.

These are the ones that get a reply with a higher price than posted.

Same for "will you take $4000?" on an ad with a $5000 price, they get "No, but I'd take $6000"

I know, driving off buyers....except they're not buyers, they're time-wasters

• Agree
Reactions: 4 users

Ribbedroof

Comic Book Super Hero
Supporting Member
Jan 4, 2009
Wellston, OK
One of the best for me was selling the old mobile home & stated "must be moved" just to get calls about how soone they can move in, how much more to rent the lot, could they stay there in it until they get a lot ready. Some peoples kids...🤬

I had one on a property I bought, posted in free on CL. Dumb questions abound, can I pull it with my pickup?, can we rent the land and live in it,, would I pay to move it for them, would i bring the tag up to date so they could hire a mover, etc. Finally let some scrappers start on it shortly before the tornado came. Nature's solution, problem solved.

pagrunt

Geezer
Sep 14, 2014
Elderton, Pa
I had one on a property I bought, posted in free on CL. Dumb questions abound, can I pull it with my pickup?, can we rent the land and live in it,, would I pay to move it for them, would i bring the tag up to date so they could hire a mover, etc. Finally let some scrappers start on it shortly before the tornado came. Nature's solution, problem solved.
I got lucky with my sale, had a gentleman who actually asked to see it, liked it, made the right offer on the first try, offered to prep the property to move it, cleaned up after getting it moved, found someone who wasn't worried about the missing dumb @$$ HUD paper needed to move it. I wish he was the first one to call. Made it go away with very light signs that it was ever there. But that's one in too many @$$es who waste your time.

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
guys who show up in a very expensive ride and c;laim poverty trying to get the lowest price

Ratchet

Master Mechanic
Jan 10, 2018
I had a motorcycle listed for sale on CL. I get a call from across the pond. Not thinking clearly as I was driving in heavy traffic, I answered it. The first words out of the guy’s mouth are, “I will buy your item. How much are you asking?” I told him the price $x.00 which was $2,000 higher than the advertised price. He says, “Are you trying to screw me?” I said, “You started it!” I never heard back.

• Haha
Reactions: 1 users

axisg

Comic Book Super Hero
Jul 17, 2007
YYZ
I love the ones who say they will give me my asking price but only if I will deliver. I've done a lot of side work using these online services been so soured that its been about a year since I have even bothered due to all the dumb questions ,answers, and no shows.
People don't seem to understand why I get mad when they try to string me along and wait at home a whole day so I can sell them a $40 item

CDUNIGAN1981

Master Mechanic
Mar 15, 2015
In 1997, my neighbor down the road had a silver Cutlass for sale.
I spoke to my dad about it and he was like "go up there and talk to Mr. Sichting about it if you want to buy it"

For background, Mr. Sichting was in his early 80's.... I was 16

I went up there trying my best to hid my eagerness... eventually I froze and just asked "what would you take for it?"
He had it clearly listed as $1500

He slowly responded with, "Oh, I don't know. I would take 15k cash... of course I would also take a lot less, say $1500 cash"

One thing led to another and I bought the car for slightly less than asking....like $1350.

COME TO FIND OUT
Mr. Sichting was a car salesmen for almost 40 years!
My dad knew it but found pleasure in sending up there to fool myself.

After the deal was done Mr. Sichting could not stop laughing at me.
It was something else to see an 80 year old man, gut laughing at you about your wheeling and dealing methods.. but I deserved it.

Reactions: 10 users
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor