Sugar in the tank!

Status
Not open for further replies.
pontiacgp said:
sugar in gas is older then I am so if sugar ruined engines then I'm sure you don't have to email myth busters to get them to redo their "research".....it would be all over the internet if it was true that sugar ruined engines but what you have is some guys telling us it ruined their engine....sugar does not dissolve in gas so how is a sugar crystal supposed to get through the filter even if it travels that far?

exactly !

Sure sugar in the tank is a PIA. If you let the tank run low enough it will clog the sock in the tank, and if it gets past the sock it will get in the lines and clog the filter before the carb. Then you have to drop the tank and flush the lines ( same as you have to do if your gas tank that has rusted from the inside out ). So if you have no sock in the tank and no filter before it hits the carb then there is a possiblity you will end up with damage.

But to think that a crystal ( like sugar or salt or sand ) will dissolve to sneak "ninja like" past the sock and filter then suddenly reaapear as sludge in your carb and seize up your motor, nah doesn't make sense to me. I am no scientist but I have had to drop a couple rusty gas tanks.

pontiacgp said:
sugar has a better chance now if there is any alcohol in the gas you buy because sugar will dissolve in alcohol that can lead to a trace of sugar making it through the filter but not enough to have any effect
I rest my case. How sure are you that "it's not enough to have any effect" and what is that statement based on? Science, or speculation? And I never even thought of that. Gasoline at the pumps have recently has been 10% ethanol-blended. But 10 years ago I don't think that was the case.

axisg said:
So if you have no sock in the tank and no filter before it hits the carb then there is a possiblity you will end up with damage.
If you have no sock and no filter, I think you have bigger problems than sugar. Contaminants will ruin the engine early.

axisg said:
But to think that a crystal ( like sugar or salt or sand ) will dissolve to sneak "ninja like" past the sock and filter then suddenly reaapear as sludge in your carb and seize up your motor, nah doesn't make sense to me. I am no scientist but I have had to drop a couple rusty gas tanks.
Little "science" for ya bro. When a crystal "dissolves" in a liquid, there are no solid particles in the resulting solution. It will pass through the sock and filter like the original liquid. Just an FYI.

Sugar in the tank will not hurt your engine! That story was making rounds 50 years ago when I was a kid. Fine sand, some chemicals, etc... yes, sugar no way Jose! Been tried and proven wrong over and over. If you got burnt valves from something added to your fuel, it damn sure wasn't sugar. :lol: :lol:

454muscle said:
pontiacgp said:
sugar has a better chance now if there is any alcohol in the gas you buy because sugar will dissolve in alcohol that can lead to a trace of sugar making it through the filter but not enough to have any effect
I rest my case. How sure are you that "it's not enough to have any effect" and what is that statement based on? Science, or speculation? And I never even thought of that. Gasoline at the pumps have recently has been 10% ethanol-blended. But 10 years ago I don't think that was the case.

you have to have a case before you can rest it....as far as the ethanol it's was tested with 15% and the suction tube was resting right in the sugar at the bottom of the container and even with that only a trace made it through the filter. If you bothered to even try to make your "case" you would have seen that research online....I can see now why it's cost you $130K or whatever it was you said for your car....

I have no idea why people want to hang on to these old wives tales. :roll:

454muscle[quote="axisg said:
So if you have no sock in the tank and no filter before it hits the carb then there is a possiblity you will end up with damage.
If you have no sock and no filter, I think you have bigger problems than sugar. Contaminants will ruin the engine early.

axisg said:
Little "science" for ya bro. When a crystal "dissolves" in a liquid, there are no solid particles in the resulting solution. It will pass through the sock and filter like the original liquid. Just an FYI.[/quote]

Thank you for the grade 6 science lesson "bro". So I propose that you explain yourself further. How did the sugar dissolve ( even though its been proven that suger does not dissolve in gasoline ); then sneak past your sock and fuel filter, then re-appear as sludge in your carburator ? Your are theorising that the sugar went from a solid, to a liquid ( to get past your filters ) then "re-appeared" as as a gel or semi-solid in your carburator.
"If" the gasoline were able to break down the "Crystalline" sugar molocule strings to make a fine enough "solution" containing parts of both gasoline and sugar it would need to be fine enough to pass through both the sock and the fuel filter. Then, at that point what other factors could possibly be introduced in your carburator ( and just past the fuel filter I might add ) to mysteriously change this "solution" of gasoline and sugar from the fine liquid that just passed the filter to produce the gel or sludge you describe and not be injested into the motor and burned up ?

Bottom line; If the fuel filters were in place they would have blocked the flow of 99% of the foreign contaminants. Maybe someone dumped another chemical in your tank which will combine with gasoline to make sludge but it was definately not sugar.

pontiacgp said:
....I can see now why it's cost you $130K or whatever it was you said for your car....
It was my 2nd GP of 10 years ago, which I bought for $1500 as far as I remember. But having a discussion and debate is one thing, what's with your unrelated comments towards me? I haven't said anything to offend you but you seem to be pissy with me and you're being a jerk now. It's not the first I've seen from you and I've had people PM me about your attitude a few times, butI don't care to argue with people like you anyways, so unless it's specifially about what we're debating, you can get off my back pontiacgp.

axisg said:
Thank you for the grade 6 science lesson "bro". So I propose that you explain yourself further. How did the sugar dissolve ( even though its been proven that suger does not dissolve in gasoline ); then sneak past your sock and fuel filter, then re-appear as sludge in your carburator ? Your are theorising that the sugar went from a solid, to a liquid ( to get past your filters ) then "re-appeared" as as a gel or semi-solid in your carburator.
"If" the gasoline were able to break down the "Crystalline" sugar molocule strings to make a fine enough "solution" containing parts of both gasoline and sugar it would need to be fine enough to pass through both the sock and the fuel filter. Then, at that point what other factors could possibly be introduced in your carburator ( and just past the fuel filter I might add ) to mysteriously change this "solution" of gasoline and sugar from the fine liquid that just passed the filter to produce the gel or sludge you describe and not be injested into the motor and burned up ?

Bottom line; If the fuel filters were in place they would have blocked the flow of 99% of the foreign contaminants. Maybe someone dumped another chemical in your tank which will combine with gasoline to make sludge but it was definately not sugar.
Since you asked to explain myself further. I answered respectfully, not to insult you by the way. So calm down.

Do you even know what a solution is? It's not grade 6, it's grade 11 actually. When a crystal dissolves in a liquid, there are NO solid particles. That's all I was trying to say. That's a SOLUTION. I didn't say it dissolves in gasoline. Maybe in the water or the alcohol in the gas. There are no "crystaline particles" that have to be "small enough". Like Coolade -- the crystals dissolve in water and the result is a translucent, clear (yet coloured) solution with no solid particles. A solution of sugar or salt or any mineral can leave traces on a solid and begin to crystalize -- this is how crystals are formed.

454muscle said:
pontiacgp said:
....I can see now why it's cost you $130K or whatever it was you said for your car....
It was my 2nd GP of 10 years ago, which I bought for $1500 as far as I remember. But having a discussion and debate is one thing, what's with your unrelated comments towards me? I haven't said anything to offend you but you seem to be pissy with me and you're being a jerk now. It's not the first I've seen from you and I've had people PM me about your attitude a few times, butI don't care to argue with people like you anyways, so unless it's specifially about what we're debating, you can get off my back pontiacgp.

I think you need to go back and read your posts directed at me.....they didn't offend me since this is only the internet but you clearly were being cynical. I'm still waiting for you to prove science wrong

pontiacgp said:
454muscle said:
pontiacgp said:

I think you need to go back and read your posts directed at me.....they didn't offend me since this is only the internet but you clearly were being cynical. I'm still waiting for you to prove science wrong
No. and no, thanks.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor