Suggestions for brake controller installation, '99-06 GM Truck

Status
Not open for further replies.

CaliWagon83

Royal Smart Person
Nov 12, 2017
Orange County, CA
Hi Guys,

I'm looking to install a trailer brake controller in my '04 Avalanche. It's a base model, so no center console. that actually gives me a couple of options for mounting. I want it to be kind of out-of-the-way when I'm not using it. This photo is my ideal location, but someone else suggested the cubby hole beneath the HVAC controls. Any thoughts/experiences/suggestions? Thanks.

post-165424-0-50392300-1484786524.jpg

454GrandPrix

Master Mechanic
Jul 27, 2016
Lehi, Utah
My tow rig is a 2001 Suburban 2500 with the 8.1L V8. The instructions with my trailer brake controller specifically said not to mount the controller close to any radio equipment. In my case, I have a CB radio stuffed into the center console, plus the remote face for a ham radio. For those reasons, I installed the controller in the traditional location on the far left end of the piece under the steering column (ie, directly below the headlight switch).

• Agree
Reactions: 1 user

CaliWagon83

Royal Smart Person
Nov 12, 2017
Orange County, CA
Thanks for the feedback. I just hate the "tacked-on" look of aftermarket trailer brake controllers drilled into the bottom of the dash, but sounds like there's a reason for it.

454GrandPrix

Master Mechanic
Jul 27, 2016
Lehi, Utah
I had a few free minutes, so I took a picture for you.

ziJPeSs.jpg

You can see my center console, with the CB radio mounted where the tape deck used to reside and the ham radio faceplate in the cubby hole below that. That's why I went conventional with my brake controller.

• Informative

lilbowtie

Comic Book Super Hero
Jan 7, 2006
Canton Mi
Mount it with Velcro and a disconnect and take it out when not towing. Mount it somewhere where you can gab a hand full of brake if needed

mikester

Comic Book Super Hero
Mar 10, 2010
Small town NY
Hi Guys,

I'm looking to install a trailer brake controller in my '04 Avalanche. It's a base model, so no center console. that actually gives me a couple of options for mounting. I want it to be kind of out-of-the-way when I'm not using it. This photo is my ideal location, but someone else suggested the cubby hole beneath the HVAC controls. Any thoughts/experiences/suggestions? Thanks.

post-165424-0-50392300-1484786524.jpg

When I still had my car trailer I mounted a Tekonsha Prodigy P2 in that cubby. It was a perfect place. Used black screws, drilled 2 small holes. When I sold the truck and pulled it out you couldnt see the holes against the black plastic.

403Olds

G-Body Guru
May 31, 2014
South Central Ohio
On my 2000 Yukon, I mounted it under the dash, right by the throttle pedal. If I remember right, there’s a couple of dimples, or predrilled holes to mount it. Works out pretty well.

• Agree

CaliWagon83

Royal Smart Person
Nov 12, 2017
Orange County, CA
mikester, in terms of wiring it, did you drill a hole in the back of the cubby hole? Did you have to use any extension wires to get it to reach the harness? No interference issues? Sorry for the rapid-fire questions. :)

mikester

Comic Book Super Hero
Mar 10, 2010
Small town NY
mikester, in terms of wiring it, did you drill a hole in the back of the cubby hole? Did you have to use any extension wires to get it to reach the harness? No interference issues? Sorry for the rapid-fire questions. :)

The controller came with a harness long enough but looking at the picture of your dash I think I might have mounted it just below the cubby and not in it. I sold the truck back in 2011 so my memory isnt that fresh ! My truck came with a towing package. There was a harness up under the dash. It was a plug and play.

CaliWagon83

Royal Smart Person
Nov 12, 2017
Orange County, CA
The controller came with a harness long enough but looking at the picture of your dash I think I might have mounted it just below the cubby and not in it. I sold the truck back in 2011 so my memory isnt that fresh ! My truck came with a towing package. There was a harness up under the dash. It was a plug and play.

So like where the ashtray is? Or the cubby below the HVAC controls? Just curious.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor