Supercrackerbox checking in

Status
Not open for further replies.

supercrackerbox

Master Mechanic
Dec 29, 2008
Lincoln NE
Hello, I'd like to introduce myself. My name is Adam, I'm from Lincoln, Nebraska. I'm a fan of both the GM A/G-bodies, and the turbocharged Mopars from the '80s. Come to think of it, I guess I'm a fan of most cars from the '80s, lol.

My most recent project is an '86 Shelby Charger that I'm getting close to wrapping up. The new car that I've just started digging into is a '78 Buick Regal Limited, which will become a reincarnation of the '78 Sport Coupe I had just after high school, albeit with a few improvements. The Limited sat on a farm for several years and needs a lot of work, so this is definately a long term build. But amazingly there is no rust aside from the roof where the paint baked off. The frame rails and floors are perfectly solid, which was the death sentence for the Sport Coupe.

I'll have pics here in a minute.

supercrackerbox

Master Mechanic
Dec 29, 2008
Lincoln NE
First here's the Charger. I bought the car in August of '06 as an abandoned roller with half an interior and absolutely nothing under the hood. I spent the better part of two years piecing it back together, and honestly still have a couple bugs to work out. The engine is a 2.2ltr 8v four cylinder with all forged internals, ported head and manifolds, Garrett Super 60 turbo, full 3" exhaust, 52pph injectors, 3 bar MAP, and a custom calibration set to run about 22psi. Haven't actually seen that much boost yet; like I said, I'm still chasing some bugs. The car is a blast to drive though. That's a very basic list, but you get the idea.

I'm also president of the local chapter of SDAC, a group of Turbo Mopar enthusiasts.

l_58723f96ac1277c669ff1b1010c336c0.jpg

Hand fabricated shifter linkage:
IMG_0613.jpg

Relocated radiator, battery, etc.
Picture012.jpg

Underhood
Picture013-1.jpg

Picture009-1.jpg

dan2286

Royal Smart Person
Mar 25, 2008
Cleveland, Ohio
I used to know some people who loved souping up the turbo mini vans. It was kinda weird hearing the blow-off valve coming from a mini van. :?

supercrackerbox

Master Mechanic
Dec 29, 2008
Lincoln NE
And now for the Buick. 8)

I actually can't find a lot of pics of it right now, but there's really not much to see. My buddy is better at running the camera when he's around, I'll work all night and forget to take pics. Although I do have a very corny video if anyone wants to see it.

These pics were taken when we dragged it home from the farm it was sitting on. We had to wash off about 7 years worth of dust, dirt, and mouse crap. The engine bay was covered in nests, and there's some interior damage too.

Picture016.jpg

Picture019.jpg

Picture022.jpg

Picture026.jpg

Picture033.jpg

No rust on the decklid, this car came with factory aluminum brake drums, intake, decklid, and front core support.

Picture011.jpg

200802220007ok1.jpg

And here's where the magic happens

200802220011mu0.jpg

And finally a photoshop of how she'll eventually look

l_ece8279ee99d2eb1038e9bae2921ac72.jpg

85GPLef41

Royal Smart Person
Nov 14, 2008
Colorado
Nice Shelby i like those cars too and of course g-bodys. The regal is a nice looking car. I also recently picked up a turbo car. It is a 1984 Mustang SVO which is in a million pieces :roll: but hopefully i will put it back together this summer. I am having trouble finding some parts for it. How hard was it to find parts for your Shelby?

supercrackerbox

Master Mechanic
Dec 29, 2008
Lincoln NE
85GPLef41 said:
Nice Shelby i like those cars too and of course g-bodys. The regal is a nice looking car. I also recently picked up a turbo car. It is a 1984 Mustang SVO which is in a million pieces :roll: but hopefully i will put it back together this summer. I am having trouble finding some parts for it. How hard was it to find parts for your Shelby?

Finding parts wasn't terribly difficult. I've been through about ten turbo Mopars in as many years, so I had a pretty extensive parts stash built up. The drivetrain actually came out of my previous project, a 1988 Daytona Shelby Z that was hit in an intersection just 2000 miles after I got it running. I was so bummed I didn't pick up a wrench for 9 months after that. But I found this car in Council Bluffs, IA for a price I couldn't refuse, so I jumped on it. The handfull of parts I didn't already have were sourced through the internet and a buddy of mine from CB who has half a dozen or so on a farm in Persia, IA. He also re-dyed all the interior panels in exchange for me fixing some electrical problems on his Charger.

As for the SVO, I've toyed around a bit with the turbo Fords too. I used to have an '88 Turbo Coupe, and my former roomate and I did a lot of work to his '84 Turbo Coupe. I don't really have any parts left, but feel free to PM me a list of what you're looking for, and I'll see what I can dig up.

mpneroz

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Jan 1, 2009
Wilkes-Barre/Scranton PA
Thanks Supercrackerbox

Good luck with your Regal, my black 79 Turbo looked way worse than that! I spent forever wet sanding and buffing the black paint that looked like it almost was applied with a spray can, unevenly applied with grit stuck in it. Bumpers were rotted through, it even has the same interior as your silver one has. I even have a set of the rally rims like the ones in my garage, Regals look good with them.

I'm picking up that interior from the guy in upstate NY shortly, thanks! You helped me a lot. Send me a pm with an email and I'll shoot you a pic of the turbo taken this past fall.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor