Sway bar mount? 34mm 36mm F Body

Status
Not open for further replies.

oldscutlasswagon

Apprentice
Dec 13, 2016
I found a great deal on what should be either a 34mm or 36mm front sway bar. According to seller its a 36mm but we'll see (no trust haha). Do g body factory sway bar mounts with new 36mm bushings work? I know sometimes the mounts themselves can't house a larger diameter bar. I also figured most aftermarket universal sway bar mounts have slots and should work, correct? Hopefully someone with this setup will chime in.

UNGN

Comic Book Super Hero
Sep 6, 2016
Southlake, TX
yes and no. The 32mm bar mounting hoops need about a 1/4" spacer between the hoop and the frame to work.

Cut four 1/4" thick pieces of steel or aluminum with a hole in them or mill a bracket out of 3/8" or thicker material with a 1/4" deep cut out for the sway bar bushing.

oldscutlasswagon

Apprentice
Dec 13, 2016
Out of curiosity, why wouldn't universal mounts work?
To make sure I understand what you are saying correctly, if I use the factory frame brackets I need to space them downward (away from frame) about 1/4" to give the bushing room, correct?

Reactions: 1 user

-83MONTESS-

Comic Book Super Hero
Nov 4, 2010
Bellevue, Ohio
Go the universal/high performance section in Autozone or Advanced Auto and get a pair of brackets and bushings. They should have the red poly kit that's greasable even. Its what I used.

Reactions: 1 users

UNGN

Comic Book Super Hero
Sep 6, 2016
Southlake, TX
Out of curiosity, why wouldn't universal mounts work?
To make sure I understand what you are saying correctly, if I use the factory frame brackets I need to space them downward (away from frame) about 1/4" to give the bushing room, correct?

Correct. A universal 36mm mount should work, but that is a pretty rare size to find locally, 83MONTESS is correct, unless its greaseable, it will be squeaky red poly.

• Agree
Reactions: 1 users

timo22

G-Body Guru
Sep 10, 2012
St. Louis,Mo
I just installed a 34mm hollow bar on a friends 86 Monte Carlo and used his stock mounting hardware. He ordered the factory bushings and I trimmed the factory centering hump flush on the top. It went on without any issues using the factory hardware. Several years ago I installed a 36mm hollow bar on an 80 Malibu the same way without issues also using the factory hardware.
When comparing the stock F41 1 1/4" bushings to the 34mm or 36mm bushings, they seem to be the same size on the outside with just a bigger hole for the larger bar. The fbody bushings have a larger hump on the top of the bushing which keeps it centered in a relief space in the frame.
Orrrr....maybe I'm just cheap! LOL timo22
Btw..I have plenty of F41,36mm,and 34mm bars available.

Reactions: 2 users
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor