tachometer problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

mickeypowa

Greasemonkey
Nov 19, 2016
Tahiti - French Polynesia
hello!
I have a problem with my tachometer, it was working well until yesterday, I unmounted the instrument cluster to fix problems with my temperature gauge and oil pressure gauge.
And when I put it back in place it doesn't work anymore.
I have soldered the jumper behind to be sure it was not the cause of the problem but it still doesn't work..
all the wires seems to be in place in the distributor and I have make sure that the copper pins are in good place..
I have checked that the gauge cluster fuse is good
so what could be the problem ? what could I check ?
here is a video to show you what happens :

ps : sorry for my approximative english, I'm french !

Thanks!

Kwik_Cutty88

Royal Smart Person
Nov 22, 2011
Coastal North Carolina
I would try cleaning the circuit "board" of the cluster with a pencil eraser. That did the trick for me. These clusters weren't the best design and can sometimes be finicky. While youe cleaning it, check to make sure its not delaminating or broken in any spots.

mickeypowa

Greasemonkey
Nov 19, 2016
your mean the circuit board under the plastic sheet behind the cluster ? i've checked the electric resistance with a multimeter between the copper pins connecting to the distributor and the gauges / lamps and everything seems ok (resistance=0) !
this gauge cluster will drive me crazy !

mickeypowa

Greasemonkey
Nov 19, 2016
yeah I wondering too if the tachometer is still good, but that strange : it was working well until yesterday !
all the cluster gauges are not working tha's why I'm trying to fix the cluster
my temp gauge and oil pressure don't give good value, maybe the sensors have to be changed, and for the lights I don't know because my headlight switch burned 3 weeks ago and I'm waiting for a new one that I have ordered !

pagrunt

Geezer
Sep 14, 2014
Elderton, Pa
Here is a simple thing to check just to make sure you didn't over look it, make sure the contacts between the tach & the back plate/cluster mounting plate are good. The pinch tabs might be bent out & no contact. Can't hurt to check & rule it out.

• Informative
Reactions: 1 user

mickeypowa

Greasemonkey
Nov 19, 2016
it worked back again a few times this morning only when I pushed on the left of the cluster. And now it doesn't want to work anymore !! arggg
So I think its a problem between the wire distributor and the copper pins... I've sandpapered the copper pins (especially the 3 pins which concern the tachometer) and the wires in the distributor but it still doesn't work, I don't know where the contact is not good..
and between the cluster and the tacho I thnik its good contact

BobCit

Apprentice
Sep 30, 2007
North Jersey
Yep that's what I meant. Sounds like that is ok. I wonder if the actual tachometer is going bad, all the other gauges and lighting works?
Since were talking tachs. My tach works but it reads high. i'll be on the highway doing 65 and the tach will read 6000 rpm
It's the factory tach. Any ideas

mickeypowa

Greasemonkey
Nov 19, 2016
Hi ! The problem is still not solved.
I've tried to put 3 direct wires from the plug connector which is behind the cluster to the tach but it still doesn't work ! So I don't think its a bad electrical connection.
I heard that a bad connexion to the ground can be the cause of the problem, where is the ground on the cluster ?? what can I try to do in order to have a good ground ??
Thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor