temp gauge

Status
Not open for further replies.

axisg

Comic Book Super Hero
Jul 17, 2007
YYZ
check the wire to the sensor, they have a bad habit of coming off and burning up on the exhaust manifold.

RITTER

Royal Smart Person
May 26, 2007
Hillsdale, MI
digimurda said:
axisg said:
check the wire to the sensor, they have a bad habit of coming off and burning up on the exhaust manifold.

ok, where is the temp sensor located?
Probably near the exhaust manifold :idea: Sorry, I couldn't resist :lol:

Should be in the head

RITTER

Royal Smart Person
May 26, 2007
Hillsdale, MI
digimurda said:
RITTER said:

Should be in the head

my car has headers though...
So, it'll be near your headers. There should be a sensor screwed into the head (if it's on the drivers side it'll be toward the front, passenger side toward the rear) To my knowledge that is where the factory temp sensors are located. Could also possibly be located in the intake manifold 8)

digimurda

Greasemonkey
Sep 29, 2010
RHODE ISLAND
RITTER said:
digimurda said:
RITTER said:

Should be in the head

my car has headers though...
So, it'll be near your headers. There should be a sensor screwed into the head (if it's on the drivers side it'll be toward the front, passenger side toward the rear) To my knowledge that is where the factory temp sensors are located. Could also possibly be located in the intake manifold 8)

thanks man, sorry ive only been into this about 2 years, my dad always did all the work, lol

axisg

Comic Book Super Hero
Jul 17, 2007
YYZ
sorry didn't notice you had a 442 :oops:
On the SBC the temp sensor is between cyl 1&2 on the DS. The wire often melts or falls onto the exhaust manifold and burns up.

The SBO had 2 sensors in the intake manifold IIRC just above the water pump on the DS close to the thermostat. I think one was for the guage and one for the CCC system. Break out your test light and see what you find.

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
if you do find the wire attached and it's in good shape if you ground the wire your temp gauge should go to max. That will tell you if the sender or the gauge is the problem

digimurda

Greasemonkey
Sep 29, 2010
RHODE ISLAND
axisg said:
sorry didn't notice you had a 442 :oops:
On the SBC the temp sensor is between cyl 1&2 on the DS. The wire often melts or falls onto the exhaust manifold and burns up.

The SBO had 2 sensors in the intake manifold IIRC just above the water pump on the DS close to the thermostat. I think one was for the guage and one for the CCC system. Break out your test light and see what you find.

sorry, whats sbo & sbc?

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor